Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southboundtrain

Small bath remodel

southboundtrain
11 years ago

I have one of those 1990's small hall baths--5'X 8.5'. You know, the fiberglass tub/shower, toilet and vanity all in bone and lined up in a row. Don't really want a tub, but only one in the house so will probably have to have one. Having just been through sticker shock while replacing carpet with hardwood in all the bedrooms, am wondering what a midline remodel would cost and am open to any suggestions. Desperately want a medicine cabinet as there is no place to put anything. This is sort of "my" bathroom as well as guest bath. We are retired (70's)and more into function over form. Plan to stay in house til you know when. Any suggestions that would help me get started? What's worth added expense, what's not? Tile over vinyl? Pricey vanities? Pedestal sink advantages and disadvantages? Medicine cabinets? Other storage?

As I read this, I'm already sounding rather pathetic, you'd think by know I would have learned something!

Comments (11)

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

What is the goal of the remodel? Is this something that has to be done or do you just want to update it?

• southboundtrain
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, this HAS to be done. It is really dingy and I can't stand it. Am heavily into taking care of things at the moment as I have some time off from being responsible for my very elderly mother. Goal is to have a nice looking and functional bathroom and not spend a pluperfect fortune. I figure it will cost at least $2000, but wonder if I am being cheap and will regret it later. I'm pretty much a penny pincher, but also worry about being pound foolish. Thanks.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

You might find the suggestions in the attached thread helpful, including some budget numbers.

Here is a link that might be useful: bath remodel, need help

• southboundtrain
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, writersblock. That was a helpful link and so many recent entries. I've done so much searching in the past and completely forgot to do a search this time. Thanks again.

• kmcg
    11 years ago

Here's a link to the bath that immediately comes to mind: staceyneil's remodel of a bath in a very similar size/era. They spent $3000, but that was DIY and a lot of bargain hunting. It's a great tutorial on the process, so I hope you'll take a look.

Here is a link that might be useful: stacey's bath

• southboundtrain
    Original Author
    11 years ago

kmcg, thanks. You are right, Stacey ended up with almost my exact layout and she has a medicine cabinet! My bargain hunting and DIY skills aren't up to her's but what these replies have told me is that I need to significantly up my budget. Oh well, that's been the case with everything I've looked at so far so why should the bath be any different? The people on GW are amazing. Thanks again.

• kmcg
    11 years ago

I hear ya - it always costs more! But keep in mind that Stacey's bath has heated floors and a $500 vanity top (for that price you could get a very nice complete vanity with mirror from Home Depot - check out the Martha Stewart line, which seem like good quality and well-priced). They also had to move the door location from one wall to another, so you might have less to do that would add to the construction costs. If you can keep your same basic layout, and are willing to do some leg work, you might get close to $2k.

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Spunds like my bathroom! As I mentioned in the other thread, all the materials, including accessories, cost me about $2k. The rest was labor. I was not foolish enough to try to DIY a tub replacement, no matter how easy Ask this Old House made it look. Above my skill level. That was a good chunk of the labor.

If I had the time, I probably could have learned to do the tile floor, toilet, and vanity replacement with some help from my Dad. I could have painted myself too. But my work schedule is awful. I couldn't live with the only full bath torn apart for months on end, so I paid to have it all done.

If you, or a family member, can do some of the work that would help.

• southboundtrain
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, you all have been so encouraging. I wish I could do more myself as I've always been fairly self sufficient but know that the prolonged process would probably lead to divorce so will have to pay up. I think I just needed hand holding to bite the bullet and say DO IT. I wish I could skip replacing the tub but am afraid there is moollldd behind the wallboard and also hate the bone color. Why oh why did people stray from white?
    Thanks so much again for all comments.

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

Ikea actually has some nice medicine cabinets and matching storage cabinets for bathrooms - if you are near one you should stop by and have a look!

Also, it is possible to get a decent tub for around $500ish, and where I live there are a lot of chinese cabinet places that sell bathroom vanities which are matched sets with the cabinet, grant and sink for under $500 as well, have a look and see if you have any similar options in your area.

• southboundtrain
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ikea is about 100 miles away, but coincidentally we are planning a trip up there. Thanks for the reminder.