Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asharding

It looks bad, help me pick a better cabinet color

asharding Harding
10 years ago

The cabinet guy brought over the cabinets yesterday. The paint color we chose doesn't look good with our tile we've picked for the floor and shower wall.

It doesn't feel like it's in the same color pallet. We're trying to go for muted tones.

Color suggestions?

Comments (15)

• asharding Harding
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's going with this slab on the counter tops and tub deck.

• catbuilder
    10 years ago

The tile is what doesn't look right to me. But it could be the monitor not showing it correctly. The tile looks warm and the cabinet and slab look cool.

• enduring
    10 years ago

You've had these elements up before right? I remember thinking the the same thing that Catbuilder says back when (I think) you had these up on another thread. I would pick new tile.

• asharding Harding
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Shoot, we've already purchased the tile, about $2.5k worth. I was hoping to change the cabinet color to pull the two together.

I took the tile to the slab yard along with color swatches and it all looked good there.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Change the cab color to one that will tie it all together.

Is your tile and slab vein cut silver travertine? It looks like our FR floor tile; vein cut Ocean Beige (Silver) travertine from Artistic Tile. It has both warm beiges and greys ranging from light to dark.

Maybe try to match one of the colors, or undertones in the tile or slab.

• ceezeecz
    10 years ago

I think the cabinet is one of the cool colors in the slab. Pick a warmer color out of it, like a cream, and you may be able to pull it together.

• bumble_doodle
    10 years ago

I'm with ceezeecz - the stone/tile reads warm yet the cabinet color is cool. Cream would be beautiful.

• asharding Harding
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We were wanting a color on the cabinets, we're thinking that cream may be too bland? The slab is Ocean Blue from Arizona Tile and the tiles are Silver Travertine from Artistic Tile.

• asharding Harding
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's how we picked the colors. Top is slab, bottom is floor tile, center is the cabinet color.

• elljays
    10 years ago

I agree with others...in your last picture posted, I can see warm tones in the slab. I'd choose one of those for the cabinet, instead of the cool gray.

• lillo
    10 years ago

You chose a color for the cabinets that is only existing in the slab but not at all in the tile . The cabinets in direct contact with the tile doesn't look nice . The slab is far up on the counters and tub surround . I agree with everybody else to choose one of the colors in the tile that is in the slab too to use it for the cabinets . If you don't like the cream , go for the darker beigy colour in the tile , although I think that the lighter color in the tile will be nicer and lighten your bathroom . What I would do is get a sample of the two colors and paint a board of each and see which one I like better .

• msbubbaclees
    10 years ago

One other thing to consider is that it is best to pick the paint in the lighting of the actual space, not in the stone yard. I had a near miss choosing a backsplash tile that looked great with my counter and cabinets in the stone yard, but did not look good at all in my house after the cabinets and counters were in. I think it was the difference in the lighting, plus the angles of the surfaces (tile vertical, counter horizontal). Can you get a corner sample of your counter so you can see all three finishes in the lighting of your space?

• ceezeecz
    10 years ago

I couldn't agree with bethinnc more. It is essential to see everything in the lighting of the actual space. The angles of the surfaces make all the difference.

• sloyder
    10 years ago

looks like a cream or ivory color would look nice, possibly a BM Sailcloth as well.

• tefoohey
    10 years ago

Revere Pewter from Ben Moore is interesting as it picks up different tones based on what it is next too. Your slab looks similar to mine that I'm using in my kitchen. I am very interested to see how it comes out!