Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jayco_gw

Best grout sealer for glazed ceramic tile?

jayco
14 years ago

I know this should be easy, but I'm having a very hard time finding out which grout sealer to use for my old-fashioned glazed ceramic bathroom tile.

I would like to apply it by brush or with a cloth, not spray-on. Thanks for any advice!

Comments (7)

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

not spray-on

Smart move. Look for either Miracle's 511 Impregnator, or Stone Tech's Impregnator Pro. Either one will work well.

• skippy05
    14 years ago

OH NO!! We just used the spray on yesterday. It is what the people at the store where the tile was purchased recommended! Am I going to have a problem with this now also........
    I think it is Seal Kote or something like that???
    I know it has a picture of a little seal on it!
    I am going to go find the can!!!!

Why not spray on??

• jayco
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't know what Bill Vincent will say, but I didn't want the spray-on since I thought it would be easier to get a good solid coat if I hand-applied it, I didn't want to have to wipe it off all my tile, and I don't generally like the idea of having to breathe solvents if I can help it.

But maybe there's another reason.

Bill, thanks for the advice, I'm going to get the Miracle 511.

• skippy05
    14 years ago

Thanks Jayco! I hope that is the only reason...
    Nothing else has been going right with this bathroom.
    Actually is is called Sure Seal. The guy told us it was ok to get on tile, we actually coated the entire floor......

You are correct about breathing the solvents though!
    It was strong. Fortunately it was great weather out yesterday, all the windows & doors were open.

• jayco
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am so far from an expert it's not even funny, Skippy05, so I'm just guessing here. But, I think floor tiles are different. I'm talking glazed ceramic wall tiles in a shower surround. Maybe Bill will come back and enlighten us both!

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

There was a problem a few years back with a spray sealer from Tile Perfect being sold thru Home Depot. Even before an health problems surfaced, I wasn't crazy about the idea of a spray sealer for a couple of reasons. First, they say you can get it on the tile-- it doesn't hurt it, that it evaporates off. If that's the case, then how can it evaporate off the tile, and not the grout? Secondly, like Jayco, I didn't care for the idea of breathing that crap. I didn't need almost 70 people to go to the hospital, and two to die before I realised it wasn't a good thing.

Now, for legality sake, I have to add that those people allegedly went to the hospital because of a chemical that was added to the sealer and shouldn't have. But there are enough other chemicals in them to still make me personally shy away from them.

• skippy05
    14 years ago

I should have wrote something here before we did the sealer.
    It is too late now,it is done. Fortunately no one got sick.