Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ahmnj

Bath Addition - Shower Door Possibilities?

Aletia Morgan
9 years ago

Happy Tuesday....

We've been working on developing a plan to expand our MBR for a couple of years, and thought we and it figured out, with the inevitable compromises. Our goal was to create a walk-in shower, & nice bath area. It's a weird space, sine the area we're fitting this into has an angled wall (from b4 we owned), so it's a bit unusual.

We just learned over the weekend that the architect mismeasured the existing footprint, and the whole room shifts back a bit, impinging on a window in our den (we have a bigger window on another wall). He's agreed to cover the cost of replacing the window with a narrower unit. But this, along with other complications of shifting everything has made me question the plan.

Here's the revised plan:

From MBR

(Ignore the ironing board - it's shown too long, and it might get jettisoned now...)

One big question I have - we have a half wall between the vanity and the tub. But I hate to close it in that from the half wall up - is it POSSIBLE to hang a single 3' sliding glass door that can slide to the right while showering, but to the left to reach faucet controls? Kind of like a single barn door. The floor is planned to be curbless, and I know that would require some kind of device to hold the panel in place, but is it even possible? We don't necessarily want to wall off 60% of the room.

I'd appreciate your thoughts!

For Reference:

Current Floorplan:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/sOEnd0GThXBKgPtH_RDTMdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Plan last week:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/PPflU_Kig4R0CTTMPNFlONMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or concerns - I know the question about the shower door was an issue before, but the loss of the window and the ironing board has me questioning everything.

Comments (9)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I'm just curious - do you LIKE the angled wall? If it were mine, and if its not load bearing, I'd be inclined to straighten it out, leaving one angled wall at the bottom of the sitting area/office

• Aletia Morgan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks sjhockeyfan,
    That wall is a major reason why it's been 2+ years coming up with a compromise.. I'd straighten it - but DH is in love with built-in desk/bookcases that run down the whole length of the outside wall. The closet is wonderful, too.

And right now, it IS a bearing wall, since it was the exterior of the house. One of the other possibilities when we realized the space wasn't as planned was to cannibalize the rear of the closets, but the contractor had said that would up the costs significantly. (Not sure I really see why).

So we're kind of stuck with the angle. And on top of it all, we just ordered the tub a week ago, so a 66"x36" tub has to fit,

I knew there would be snags, just didn't think they'd be so soon. Contractor's guys dug for the footers, and we realized that they were placing the wall right through the window! (and no, they didn't stop or notice...)

Thanks!

• numbersjunkie
    9 years ago

Look on Houzz and search for glass barn door. It can be done, but you would probably have to built a soffit across the top to mount the hardware. Heres one example:

[Contemporary Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2103) by Round Rock Kitchen & Bath Designers Anchor-Ventana Glass

• Aletia Morgan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Numbersjunkie - thanks for sharing that! I ran across that exact picture last night on Houzz. I wonder if this kind of door would work with a curbless floor? I suppose you'd need one of those roller-things (technical term) that look like two spools of thread - to hold the panel at the bottom, and that is positioned so that the door is always between them along it's track.

I think you're right, adding a soffit might be easier than other options.

We've also thought about creating a 4x4 pillar at the corner of the tub to mount a bar for the door/s, but it strikes me as something from another era that could look jarring. I'd rather avoid if possible.

Thanks to everyone looking and suggesting...we need to make a final call today, if possible.

• Aletia Morgan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Our architect has proposed an alternate plan that keeps the footprint where we had expected it to be, and saves the Den window. There are some positives, although it definitely wipes out the ironing board, and leaves only a little more than two feet of space for someone using the right-hand sink. Is that even legal, let alone ADA? And then, if you do a glass wall across the whole shower/tub area, you are really closing off a lot of the space!

We still haven't decided how or if to move forward, but I'm trying to be open-minded...

I'd appreciate any thoughts about this alternative:

From MBR

DH thinks it's too tight...is it, really?

Thanks...

• numbersjunkie
    9 years ago

Why do you need the vanity to wrap around the outside wall? That seems to be causing a sink clearance issue as well. But I think the problem you asked about was the clearance between the sink and the tub? I'm pretty sure that is not to code. Not sure if this would do the trick, but can't you eliminate the ironing board closet, shift the sinks down towards the door, and maybe put tall storage on the end by the outside wall?

I have to admit I have serious concerns about your architect - is he/she really qualified? The fact that there was a mismeasurement in the first place really sends up a red flag. Especially since the clearances are so tight - you would expect both the architect and contractor to have double/triple checked everything before work began.

• Aletia Morgan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Frankly, I'm wondering that, too. We found the architect, who has been great to work with, since his firm did the addition to the house in 1993 that this builds from, and was familiar with the property. Maybe that was our primary mistake, since it turns out he "assumed" that the drawings they had from the '93 project were correct. They were not, and the '93 addition was built further back from the corner of the house. (the angle was to stay within lot setback lines, since it's a pie-shaped lot at the end of a cul-de-sac).

Perhaps someone totally new wouldn't have assumed that as-built was the same as the plan. Although to be fair, he did come out multiple times to take measurements. He just missed a big one. And you're right, the contractor didn't verify the measurements, either.

This proposal would eliminate the vanity wrap-around. I was hoping to do something like this at the far end:

[Contemporary Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2103) by San Francisco Architects & Building Designers W. David Seidel, AIA - Architect

That could go in the middle, of course - I just thought it was interesting at the end. But with the space constraints, I don't know.

I'm checking about the code question. Fortunately, just talked with MTI (they are wonderful!), and while we own the tub, it could still be adjusted as needed.

Anyone remember Colorforms? I think I'm about to start playing with shapes and see what I come up with. If anyone knows a great Bath designer in central NJ who might take pity and offer suggestions, I'm more than open to the idea!

• numbersjunkie
    9 years ago

I wish I had a better suggestion for how to work with the space you have alotted. Unfortunately, I think you may be trying to do too much with the space you have and feel that it will seem cramped no matter what. Do you really need both a sitting room and a den? If it were me, I would rather use at least some of that that space for a nice master bathroom. At the very least, I would eliminate the closet in the sitting room and use that to enlarge the master bath.

• Aletia Morgan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your thoughts - I think we're stuck with the footprint we have, to maintain marital harmony. By rights, it seems like we should be able to fit a tub/shower & vanity in an 11' (average length) x9.5' space, although that angle does complicate things.

At the same time, I think I figured out a way last night to make everything work, although it will require replacing the den window with a smaller pane. I don't have a good drawing yet, but I should have it tomorrow.

With any luck whatsoever, I'll be posting photos around the end of the year. Or maybe asking more questions...

Now back to finalizing the faucets...!