Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharilouwho_gw

Looking for Matte Stone Sealer for Italian Crema Marble

ShariLouWho
9 years ago

Any recommendations on the best (easiest to use/no fail for beginners) stone sealer for a marble bathroom counter? We have the one shown here from RH in the Italian Crema Marble finish & would like to preserve the matte honed finish. Or are we better off hiring someone? I really would like to DIY, but I don't want to mess it up either.

We just purchased the home & I have no idea of the maintenance, if any, it's received in the past, and the prior homeowner said she never used anything and isn't sure what her housekeeper may have used on it. It's showing some etching & I would really like to protect it more from daily use.

Here is a link that might be useful: Restoration Hardware St. James Double Vanity Sink

Comments (10)

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

I really liked using STT's SB sealer (now called Deluxe sealer?). It has minimal. minimal odor, and is super-easy to use. Apply the sealer (I used disposable foam brushes), let it sit (8 hrs-overnight) to absorb (new instructions, as of a few years ago), reapply if your stone warrants it, and buff with a clean dry cloth(s)--old cotton T's, shop towels, etc. Doesn't need to be reapplied for 15 years I believe.

• ShariLouWho
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Fifteen years?! Seriously?? Now THAT I need to try LOL. Thank you!!

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

I could be totally off-base with time-interval, so don't quote me on it! LOL
    Either way, it's definitely a decent number of years before you'd need to reapply. ðÂÂÂ

• ShariLouWho
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Anything that falls in the "multiple years" category is worth a try in my book haha!

• enduring
    9 years ago

A sealer won't prevent etching though. It sounds like that is your intension with the sealer. It helps prevent staining. For protection, on my marble counter in the bathroom, I bought a couple of long ceramic trays from Pottery Barn. I use them for my tooth brushes and other items. I have a microfiber cloth nearby that I wipe the counter with after use. I have had my counter for almost a year and I can't see any etching on the honed surface. There may be some, but I don't see it in my soft light bathroom.

The sealer I've used is Miracle 511 Impregnator Penetrating Sealer. It does not enhance or darken the stone.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I've had my honed carrara vanity top for about 4 months. It was sealed by the installers. There was no etching....

...until my daughter visited and spent the night. She must have used some cleanser or pore refiner or something, and now I have my first etches in front of the sink. :)

They are small and you have to look for them. I still love my marble.

• ShariLouWho
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmmm, okay. So how does one prevent etching, or can one? I read that you should seal it, but now am not so sure.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I don't think you can prevent marble from etching, short of roping off the counter and preventing people from getting anywhere close to it. :) I'm just using this bath for taking showers and handwashing. My personal regimen takes place at my old cultured marble vanity which I don't care about. Etches were bound to happen on my new counter and happen they did. I'm not at all sorry I got marble. I can relate to beauty with flaws.

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

Shari, you cannot prevent etches. Sealer only prevents staining. Miracle 511 sealer is what I use on my kitchen island marble. It's what my fabricator used and gave me. It's also what my tile installer used on my newly installed bathroom tile (polished porcelain). My white marble is 3 years old now and I have no stains. Lots of etching, but no stains. If etching will drive you crazy, you should not have marble.

• ShariLouWho
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not a fan of the etching, that's for sure, but I do love the vanity for sure. Y'all have given me some great tips. I think I will be happy with what I have, maintain it as best as I can, and at the end of the day, be happy that my home is lived in!