Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twilcox

Gut job completed and revealed

twilcox
9 years ago

Thought you might want to see pics of my remodel in which every single thing was changed in this very small hall bathroom. All plumbing was moved and demo went down to studs. My goals were to brighten and lighten this previously dark, outdated room but keep it looking like it fits into my 1960's ranch style home. I also wanted counter space and 2 sinks. There were a couple of things that went haywire during construction, but all in all I am happy with the results. I couldn't figure out how to load multiple pics in a post so I apologize for the many posts.

First up....the before

Comments (29)

• twilcox
    Original Author
    9 years ago

second before. Just noticed the pic makes the room seem lighter than it actually was. lol.

• twilcox
    Original Author
    9 years ago

new, old door I purchased and had the top part cut out and fitted with glass. No, you can't see through it. I tested it.

• twilcox
    Original Author
    9 years ago

first inside pic

• twilcox
    Original Author
    9 years ago

looking the other way

• twilcox
    Original Author
    9 years ago

tub gone, now standing shower

• twilcox
    Original Author
    9 years ago

closer up of vanity. soapstone counter top

• twilcox
    Original Author
    9 years ago

picture of the flooring choices

• twilcox
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This little setup is just inside the shower door to right. Easy to reach in. I don't love the niche. I think that could have been designed better, but it works and is big enough.

• twilcox
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think that's about it. If anyone is interested in details, let me know and please feel free to pick this apart. Its very small and I probably broke some rules along the way with size of space to be allowed, etc, but I think this will work for me. The place where you walk into the room now used to be a linen closet that opened up in the hall. I cancelled out the original door into the bath to make room for the double vanity and moved the entrance to where the linen closet used to be. The linen closet is now that very shallow storage built and recessed into the wall next to the toilet. Its small but functional if you are creative with towel folding. Plus I have all the storage in the vanity!

This post was edited by tarheelchick on Wed, Oct 8, 14 at 11:28

• loves2read
    9 years ago

I like the look very much--especially how you did the drawers into what I think from your explanation was a former linen closet--think it is great use of space...
    Like how you framed the shower with glass panels on sides--
    how did you caulk/finish the interior to avoid any water intrusion into the cavities?
    What type of plumbing hardware/fixtures did you use?
    What type of tile/source did you use?

• annemouse
    9 years ago

WOW. Your bathroom did not look bad to begin with, but now it is just perfect and does not look small at all. Great ideas to make the most out of the space.

• twilcox
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your comments.

lovestoread, I will get my product detail when I get home tonight and look in the file. I can't remember the names. I'm not exactly sure how those windows were finished on the inside of the shower, but I know there is some kind of silicone caulking that is around the glass where it meets the tile. The "new" linen cabinet is that shallow, recessed thing next to the toilet. It gives me about 7 inches of shelving and interior drawer space. I have found the drawers are a good size for storing toilet paper! The "old" linen closet no longer exists. It is now where the entry door is to the bath. (Hope I explained that a little better).

• llcp93
    9 years ago

The bath was cute before but WOW! now.

• twilcox
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The materials used were as follows,

Shower wall tile was Carrara Grey Porcelain (fake carrara)
    Shower floor was Precious Gems
    Floor tile in bath was just Classic White ceramic. (Probably should have thought about how it would show to much dirt.....oops) But it seems easy to swiffer clean.

The shower spray fixture and sink fixtures were Ammara Designs

The light fixtures I ordered from Schoolhouse Electric & Supply.

Lastly, I forgot to say that I added a solar tube type of thing in the ceiling over the toilet area. That turned out to be something that I like alot. During the day, it brings in lots of light to the room.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Well, it is gorgeous! But, I especially LOVE the Tpaper cubbies. Tell me about those. Are they the only dispenser, or just for extras? What a great solution to having a spare roll within easy reach.

• themarinmaven
    9 years ago

I absolutely love it. It is not too far off from the color pallet. I am selecting. Brushed/Satin nickel rocks. I really appreciate the detailed architecture in enclosing the shower. Built in storage and the wooden blinds window treatments are delightful. You really transformed it into a very sophisticated and classic space. Country club spa.
    Bravo.

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

What a transformation! Excellent use of space. Bright and modern. Total opposite of what I'm doing (but I can still appreciate the different style :). Would love to see a day time picture (with no flash) to see the amt of sunlight the bath has with the solatube. Well done! Now enjoy :)

• twilcox
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oly, the TP holders are made by a company called "Bradley". There were designed for prisons and jails, but I love them because they are completely recessed into the wall and I was trying to claim as much space as possible and didn't want anything protruding outward. As a bonus, I figured my husband who is somehow challenged in his ability to change a toilet paper dispenser could handle this. LOL>

Monica, I will attempt to get a daytime picture later today. I love a bright room, and the solatube was a great help.

Most of my ideas for this room came from a series of different photos I pulled off of Houzz. I chose bits and pieces of different features that I liked and used them. I had been planning this remodel for the past 4 years. This is primarily a guest bath which will be used mostly when my grown kids come home to visit.

• enduring
    9 years ago

I would love to be a guest in your house! This is very nice. Congratulations on a wonderful job. :)

• islanddevil
    9 years ago

Wow, it's great to see a well designed small bathroom!Love it and all your choice of materials, especially the marble look shower tile. I want that! Can you please tell me who makes it?

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

tarheelchick, I just notice you off-set your vanity faucets. What shape are your sinks? I know it's an optical illusion but one looks round and one looks oval. WHY did you choose to place them where you did? Was it a space constraint between the sink and the backsplash? Are you comfortable with where the water hits the sink? IOW do you think it reaches out as far as if would if they were positioned in the center? Do you stand where you would if the faucets were centered or just a tad bit over to the right/left? I've got to decide by tomorrow where I want mine placed...if I have a choice. I might not.
    Thanks

• twilcox
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Monica, I keep forgetting to get that daytime picture you requested. Once I get home from work, its dark and then I just forgot over the weekend (sorry). Yes, my faucets are offset and the sinks are oval. I had the vanity custom made and it is just slightly smaller in depth than a standard vanity. Again, I was really trying to claim any inches I could find between the shower and the vanity where there was precious little space. The sinks are set back as far as they can be and the faucet is offset. I briefly thought about wall mounted faucets, but then decided against that. I also wanted more counter space between the two sinks, so the sinks are set fairly close to the ends of each side. There is no issue with splashing water and the water hits the sink just short of the bottom drain. Hope that helps.

island, I don't know the manufacturer of the tile on the name "Carrera Grey Porcelain". I ordered from a tile supplier through my installers.

• itltrot
    9 years ago

Beautifully done!

• Nancy in Mich
    9 years ago

I like your use of framing and molding wood on the shower enclosure exterior, it is inventive and it echos the linen cabinet nearby, as well as the door to the bathroom. So the linen cabinet is only 7" deep? You are giving me ideas on how to use one I found at WG Wood Products. Theirs also uses the wall cavity, as a medicine cabinet does. They can make it extra deep, however. If I use your ideas and frame around the space with wood, I can increase the depth of wall cabinet I can get from them.

You think outside the box, as demonstrated by your offsetting the water faucets in order to squeeze in a little more floorspace. You could have given in to double pedestal sinks, but that is not what you wanted, so you figured out how to get what you wanted. Many others would not have tried. I am glad that you had a vision and stuck to it, you have a beautiful bathroom to show for it.

There is no argument about whether the TP should go over or under the roll! I had never seen those style holders before. I love the look for use as a holder for a second roll when there is no cabinet nearby to keep them in. I still need a holder that does not need two hands to dispense the paper, myself, though.

It was great fun looking at your bathroom. Thanks for posting!

Here is a link that might be useful: WG wood products in-wall cabinet

• loves2read
    9 years ago

Do you have any issues with your sink faucets when you close the drain?
    Do they pull straight up or slant--and catch on the beadboard backsplash?

And the silicone caulk?
    I like how you have the glass window effect--less glass to keep clean

• rockybird
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! I love the linen closet, the shower tile and the shower cut out window. It looks terrific. Great job!!!

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Gorgeous and creative!
    What is your vanity size?
    Someday, I hope to attack ours!
    Thanks

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

It's beautiful!

• twilcox
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for your comments. I am enjoying walking down the hall and seeing my lighter, brighter bathroom everyday. I haven't actually used it myself, but my husband has, and he likes it.

lovestoread, the sink stoppers are not mounted on the back of the faucets. They are the type that you just pop them up or down with your finger on the actual stopper itself (inside the sink). There is probably a name for that type of stopper, but I don't know what it is. Touch it once and it goes down. Touch it again, and it pops up.

a2gemini, the vanity is 66 1/2" long, and 20" deep. I didn't include the inches that were for the ledges on either side of the vanity. Those added about 4" each.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia