Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
simoneb_gw

Major toilet problem-- help finding a Toto that fits

simoneb
15 years ago

Ugh. My husband and I purchased the toto promenade. I love this toilet. It's very narrow (18 3/8 wide at the widest part for the tank), which is perfect because our bathroom is smaller than you could ever imagine. The contractor went to install it yesterday and told me he couldn't because the rough-in size is 12" on this toilet and I need 10". Does anyone know of a small Toto with this size rough-in? I'm trying to find one now... :-(

Comments (11)

• monicakm_gw
    15 years ago

I would think your plumber would know this if I'm remembering right, but it seems like there is a fitting (insert) that can be used to accommodate the difference in sizes. In case he doesn't, you could call a plumbing supply store and ask.
    Monica

• wa8b
    15 years ago

You might want to look at the Toto Carlyle, a single-piece toilet with a slim-profile tank. It can be adapted to work with both a 12" rough in or a 10" rough in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Toto Carlyle Toilet from toiletsthatwork.com

• justnigel
    15 years ago

Slightly different style than the Carlyle is the Soiree... The tank lid is 18' wide, though most of the tank is 16'. If I understand the instructions, it can be converted to a 10' rough-in. (You would definitely want to verify that info.)

I'm very happy with mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Toto Soiree

• astridh
    15 years ago

If you go on the Toto website, you can do a search for which toilets can be used with a 10" rough-in. Unfortunately, I don't see the Promenade on that list.

• live_wire_oak
    15 years ago

If this is new construction, (or a complete bath redo) you should insist that the bathroom floor and plumbing be torn up and the correct 12" rough in be done. 10" rough ins haven't been used in forever and are only found on much older homes. 12" has been the standard since forever, and many manufacturers are moving to 14" for some models. Any code inspector worth a hoot should have caught this. Offset flanges are prohibited by plumbing code and will never pass any inspectors. 10" rough in toilets are VERY hard to find, and will be impossible to find down the road if this toilet needs to ever be replaced.

• candibarr
    15 years ago

I had this problem & used a Toto Carlyle. My rough wasn't even a whole 10", about 9.75. Installation required creative thinking but worked in the end. The problem was a large gulam beam that couldn't be cut into for the drain. The Carlyle is a very nice toilet.

• simoneb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Astridh: Thanks for the suggestion of Tot's website -- duh, why didn't I think of that? I thought they had just a fancy slide show. So, it looks like I have to get the Carollton. Really bummed. Our bathroom is not modern (beadboard and subway tile) and the others that fit a 10" rough-in are very contemporary. Carollton is bigger than the promenade so now I will only have 3" between the toilet and the wall and 3" between the toilet and the sink. Yikes. That sucks...

If anyone has a miracle way to make the promenade fit, do share, although I am giving up home.

• faucetman886
    15 years ago

I have a friend who is a TOTO dealer and he advises that you just need a "closet flange" to change the size of the rough in for your existing TOTO toilet to fit. If you need further info I'd be pleased to give you his customer service number to get what you need and better answers. I dont want to violate any commercial bans on this blog. Just drop me an email through this site and I'll hook you up with him for the answers.

• budge1
    15 years ago

We have the dartmouth in our period bathroom and I'm pretty sure it can be used with a 10" rough in. It looks similar to the carollton but without that modern base. Not sure about the width, but as you can see we were also tight on space.

• simoneb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

If anyone is curious about the answer to this question, I now have it. None of the Totos naturally use a 10" rough-in. To do this, you have to have the unifit adapter. But only certain models work with this adapter. They are:

Carlyle, Carolina, Carrolton, MS914114, Pacifica, Vespin

I was bummed out because I don't really like any of these toilets. They are all pretty modern, except the Carrolton, which was too big. I went with the Vespin -- hope I like it!