Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abbabug

Help with bathroom redesign ?

abbabug
9 years ago

We built our house 15 years ago. For the life of me, I don't know why we agreed to a soaker tub in the master ensuite. Never used. Time to remove it.

Here's the original layout.....

The goal is to lose the soaker tub and replace existing single shower as a double. We were originally thinking of moving the toilet over to the end of the vanity by the windows but alas that may prove to be an expensive if not impossible task because of the joists.

Hmmm.... Can't figure out how to upload 2 photos....

Comments (13)

• abbabug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's where I suspect the placement of the joists is not in our favourite regarding toilet move....

We have open ceiling outside the master bedroom, so I think the double joist is the supporting beam....I'm no construction expert. So that means the floor joists are perpendicular to that beam?

My thoughts are to leave toilet as is.
    Have a smaller vanity .....say 48"
    Remove WIC indentation into bathroom to place double shower there.
    Smaller window.
    Replace existing shower space as WIC indentation.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

Maybe you could put the shower in the tub space, put in a smaller, short wide window up high in the shower and put a second vanity in the shower space.

• abbabug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Karenseb, that's what we were planning for the double shower and window. I was going to replace the WIC shelves (used for the new shower) at the old shower location.

Just wondering if anyone has other suggestions.

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

Can you move the toilet to where the current shower is located?

• abbabug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dekeoboe, I don't know if that move is possible with plumbing having to cross joists. If this move is possible, how should the rest of the bathroom be changed?

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

How about something like this. The toilet moves a little but within the same joist space, most likely.

• abbabug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Palimpsest, would I lose the window in the setup you suggested? Preferably, I would like to be able to open it. Should I leave the old shower space open?
    Or perhaps a tall cabinet? ......hmmmm. The window being the only issue .....

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

You would probably have to resize the window or have a fairly high window there. I don't know if that negatively affects the exterior.

I put a built-in cabinet in the shower space. It's just very faint. It would have to be shallow to allow front clearance for the toilet.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

You could try a corner shower with 2 foot window next to it with bench or cab underneath.
    Or a 30 X 72 inch shower where the tub is with a 5 foot vanity on the left wall and a 3 foot vanity next to the toilet.

• abbabug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If I have the window in the shower, would I still be able to open it? I understand that it would have to be tempered glass but not familiar with other rules. I love this window - beautiful sunshine in the morning, view of the neighbour's gorgeous backyard and of course, fresh air.

• littlebug5
    9 years ago

Do you really need 2 vanities in there? Would 2 people actually be using them at the same time? It makes the space seem really jammed up.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I am not aware of any national code prohibiting an operable window inside a shower.

• abbabug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol littlebug5. It's already jammed up there as it is with that soaker. Don't need two vanities but really want a double shower without compromising too much. Sigh....it looks like I may have to give up the big window.