Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
We used unsanded grout for 2 in marble hex--was this a mistake?

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 9, 12 at 10:42

This was done on the shower floor and bathroom floor. Everything I'm reading online says sanded is better. If the grout cracks and shrinks what in earth do we do with these millions of grout lines?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: We used unsanded grout for 2 in marble hex--was this a mistak

Sanded versus unsanded is based on the width of the grout line:

1/8" or greater, use sanded.
<1/8" use unsanded.

Sanded has...ta da...sand as a bulk filler to minimize shrinkage cracks in wider joints.

If unsanded was used in a wider-than-recommended grout line, it's not a guaranteed recipe for disaster.

If the grout does shrink and crack, it'll usually flake out of the joints as well. Some have simply regrouted over the cracks to fill them in. It's a band-aid approach. It can work. Or it may not work.

The better bet is to remove the grout. I've only had to do it once. I used a diamond bit in a dremel-type of tool. Dusty, dirt.

o

the tile guy said he used an additive to make it strong. let's hope it holds up.

o

Most grouts are already modified.

In this case, success will bear more on the amount of water used to mix the grout. The more water he used, the more likely you are to get shrinkage cracks.

Fingers crossed!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here