Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a1an

Solid Color Ceramic - Am I BORING

a1an
10 years ago

I had my heart set on a fake carra. I finally found one I like - and the size that was offered.

In retrospect, I'm going a complete 360. Call me crazy, but I leaning on just a large 4x12 gloss grey ceramic on the lower half, and a 3x6 matte white on the upper.

I hate picking tile....too much design choice overload ;-)

Comments (2)

• MongoCT
    10 years ago

It goes back to focusing on a look you like. See a photo online that you like? Find that tile. Buy that tile. Never look at tile again. Then install that tile.

Not sure if you fall into this category, but some folk get hung up on what other people like. Will my bathroom fall out of style? The thing is, who's style? Yours is the only one that matters.

What will my friends/family/neighbors think? Who cares? They're probably not paying for it. They're probably not cleaning it. They're probably not going to use the room. And if they do use the room, they should simply be grateful they have a place to go potty. They are simply "visitors" after all.

Some people do like safe choices. They design "for resale". Some others HAVE TO HAVE the latest trend. The fact that it'll be "out of style" when the magazines, manufacturers, and designers have to gin up sales for the next greatest trend? It doesn't matter. Like Veruca Salt, they want it, and they want it now.

And they'll usually want something different later.

Some are afraid to design for what they actually like. While it can be trying at times, it's always most satisfying to tease those ideas out of people and give those folks the confidence to do that thing they've always wanted to do. The thing is, over time, they're usually the ones that will be happiest with their rooms. It's their private space. And it's just how they want it.

So the question is, why are you abandoning the material that you had your heart set on? You obviously want it. You found it. Why not stick with it?

If you're boring and you want a boring room, then go with it. There's nothing wrong with that if that's what you truly want.

If you want "something more", have the confidence to realize it, imagine it, buy it, install it, and enjoy it.

Learn to roar.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

I don't think it's boring but I would make sure the 4x12 juxtaposed against 3x6 looks okay to you. It's two slightly different proportions of rectangles, You may just want to do 3x3 or 2x2 for the white matte upper part.