Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What color grout for wall subways if floor has mapei silver...

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 9, 12 at 10:18

With the marble hex tile. The mapei silver looks great with the marble hex on the floor, but I wonder if silver is too dark for white subway on the tub/shower walls. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What color grout for wall subways if floor has mapei silver..

This would be totally a personal preference thing. Some people prefer the contrast on white subways as the "classic" look. Others want the grout to blend in to the field so that you really just see a wall of white.

Do you want to see the pattern of the subways or not? Plug into Houzz some search criteria and see what comes up. I know that worked for me when I was looking at white subways with silver shadow grout.

o

o

I plan to use white grout with the subway on the walls and gray grout with the hex on the floors in my new build. I have seen it this way many times and it looks great. That said, I think the gray grout looks really nice with white subway as well. Just a matter of how much emphasis you want to put on the shape and size of the tile - not a maintenance issue on the walls.

o

I usually specify white on the walls and grey on the floors.

o

I have hex flooring, rittenhouse subway on walls mapei silver on both

o

We just had white subway (rittenhouse) installed with white grout on the walls. And then unglazed hex on the floor with silverado grout. It looks great. I personally think white subway with white grout is more classic looking, but I like the look of a white grey as well.

I think it depends on your overall aesthetic. If you are trying to have your bathroom look original like we were, I would go with the classic white. But if you are doing more of a mixed style in your bathroom with modern touches, I might go with a darker grout. You can still see the brick pattern with white, but it is much more subtle.

Of course in our case, we were also dealing with a black subway chair rail and black bulnose. I rightly thought a non-white grout would look funny.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here