Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elfmom_gw

Master Bath Double Sink or Single Sink???

elfmom
15 years ago

Okay, I'm sure this has been addressed many times already but I can't find it...I'm trying to decide if it's worth putting in a double sink vanity into a 75" space or to put a single sink in along with some tall cabinet storage. Can anyone tell me that they are definitely happy with their double sink decision? I just can't imagine being in the bathroom together with my husband enough to make it worth it.

Comments (15)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

I'm mostly the only person here but I do like the double sinks so that I can have hand wash laundry soaking and still brush my teeth, but this entirely depends on the rest of your setup--do you have other storage, for example? I have two good sized closets in the bath so I wouldn't need the tower space, but if you have no place to put anything, that's a different story. Likewise, if I had a place for a laundry sink I wouldn't care so much about the double. Can you give us a little more info about your layout?

• elfmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't have any other storage in the bathroom except for the vanities. Basically, on one side of the room there will be a tub and a toilet separated by a half wall and on the other side there will be a shower and the 75" wall to put the vanity. There is a big walk-in closet just outside the bathroom but nothing more inside. It sounds like I should go with my first instinct and nix the double sink.

• ladycfp
    15 years ago

We downsized to single sink in our master bath redo. My dh and I rarely share the room at the same time and it has worked well for us to have the extra space for other uses. The vanity we chose is 46 inches long so that is a lot of counter space still. I have mirrored wall cabinets with interior storage, a storage cabinet and 2 decorative columns with interior storage next to my tub. I needed storage space! Can you tell?

• User
    15 years ago

Hate to say it, but this question is bringing out the realtor in me, so I apologize in advance. I say if you have the space, (which is sounds like you do) put the second sink in. It's an improvement that you will see your return on, be it through sale or equity and if you ever have to sell it will definately be a plus for a buyer (and could help for a quicker sale). I know, I know, you're probably there for life and don't care about resale, but things happen, plans change why not be safe? We too never plan on leaving our beloved home, but when doing improvements, it's always something we consider just in case of an unexpected emergency.

• elfmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, everyone, your perspectives have given me more food for thought. DH wants the double sinks, but my practical side made me think that storage would be more useful. Maybe I could just add some linen storage in one of the closets that are just outside the bath. I will probably go for the double sinks.

• User
    15 years ago

yeah, there are so many creative ways to find more storage, new ideas everyday, but I honestly believe once it's in, you'll sort of enjoy having that extra sink. :c)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

You could also do a 60" double sink vanity with a 15" linen tower for storage.

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

I have a large counter/vanity area... close to 10' and still chose a single sink. We had a large oval Kohler (Ellipse I think) for 23 years, just remodeled and put in the undermount rectangular Kohler Man's Lav. Have never regretted the single sink decision one day!

We can share the sink just fine! Less to clean up and I love the big expanse of counter. I've got room for a lamp, a decorative tray for perfume, etc.

I've never had anyone look at our MB and say "Awww you've only got one sink" instead they always say... OHHHH I love your counter space! If done right it can make the whole bathroom look even bigger while if you crowd in two sinks, it can make it look smaller.

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

My original bathroom had 2 sinks, old plumbing caused us
    to us only one sink for many years. My new bathroom is only
    going to have one sink because obviously we lived for many years
    without ever missing the use of the other and it allowed me to have
    a much bigger walk-in shower. The choices we make...good luck!
    vic

• snowyshasta
    15 years ago

Obviously it all depends on your personal usage and preferences, but I do agree that for resale I would downgrade a house with only one sink in the master bath. In our case it's not so much that we're using them at the same time (although we do sometimes) but that it's nice to have our own separate spaces in the bathroom.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

I like the 2 sink idea for resale value. Also when one of my sinks stopped working and the plumber could not come by for a few days to bring me the new sinks and plumbing materials, I loved having one working sink. I ended up replacing both sinks and put in new faucets and made sure I always have sale delivered for my water softener due to the hard water I have so I don't ruin the pipes of everything else in my home. But now all my bathrooms have new sinks. The kitchen sink is next but it has to wait to be renovated since my flooring comes first.

• tulipscarolan
    15 years ago

I agree that there isn't really a right or wrong answer, as there are benefits to the extra storage, but also to some there are benefits to the extra sink. And so much of the final decision has to do with things really specific to you and your husband (love the response just above this one! It's the little things in life like not looking at crusty toothpaste that can really make us smile!).

I'm one of the one sink people out there, with a strong preference for it. I always like to get ready alone in the bathroom anyway, and two sinks just make for more cleanup in my view. Even if there is the room, there would always be something I'd rather do with the space (either just extra spaciousness, or more storage, or whatever). But of course I understand why people who share the bathroom simultaneously on a regular basis would prefer 2 sinks.

Good luck with your decision!

• MongoCT
    15 years ago

Most of the pro/con reasons have been mentioned.

My wife and I could have done anything we (okay, she) wanted in our (okay, her) master bath, we easily concluded a single sink was best for us.

No regrets.

• jakkom
    15 years ago

I've always got resale on the mind, so I would opt for double sinks.

In fact, I'm considering in our next place, to have entirely separate BATHROOMS - and no, I'm not kidding!