Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rickyk22

40" for double vanity, any suggestions?

rickyk22
10 years ago

Hi,

We are remodeling our bathroom and would like a double vanity, however we only have roughly 40". I could probably squeeze out another 4" or so if I had to by decreasing the toilet stall or custom shower, but they are both at 36" right now, so I would prefer not to. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get a 40" double vanity?

Thanks for all the help.

Comments (35)

• enduring
    10 years ago

Bunk sinks? no just kidding :) There are code minimums that are specified for distances between sinks and walls. I will link a great site that has bathroom drawing dimensions that is very informative.

I wouldn't want a smaller than 36" toilet area as that is minimum recommended. The shower may be at its minimum too. Check the link and compare your measurements.

One option that I've seen and heard about is using a larger single sink yet put 2 faucets in there. There is counter space left over. It can be a very cute look. Check out Houzz to see examples.

Here is a link that might be useful: Illustrated rules of good bathroom design

• LE
    10 years ago

I'd rather have one sink and some counter space myself. It is hard to imagine how you could achieve this without it looking really crowded. The two faucet option could work, though. When I get in a bind like this, I try to remember to re-think my assumptions. What I mean is to ask "why do I think this is the solution and what is it the solution to?" Maybe there's another way to accomplish the goal.

A shower less than 36" would be really tight. We have a toilet alcove narrower than 36" and it works fine because it's just a pony wall on one side, but it probably isn't compliant with today's code.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Code for the toilet is 30" (15" from the center to each adjacent wall/structure).

I'm not sure about the code for sinks, but I know 2 sinks in 40" of space will be almost impossible. Actually, if you intend to buy a pre-made vanity (not custom), it will actually BE impossible - there's no such thing! (I'm in the market, so I have been looking, but I have 60").

As for the shower, sometimes you just have to go with what you have. We have 30" unless we move the toilet, which we can't do because of concrete floors and the location of the stack. so we'll live with 30" (at least we have 5' in length). Would we prefer to have 36"+? Definitely. Is it possible? No.

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

The Kohler Harborview utility sink comes in 44", I believe. It has a certain rustic charm. I think you can buy it without legs. Then maybe build a very simple open shelf vanity for it. Click on the link to get an idea of what I am trying to convey.

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY blog cabin

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Ikea has a few:

or

but note that the ikea way is to limit countertop space on the theory that everything should be in the drawers when not in use. There are a couple of other sink designs and colors available. Probably the vitviken gives the most counter space, more than the odensvik in these pics.

Ikea usually copies duravit, so they probably have nicer ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: ikea sink cabinets

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I take it back - obviously it IS possible, even if doing so leaves no room on the countertop!

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I have a 56" vanity and no way would I have two sinks. I think counter space is more important. How often do you both have to use the sink at the exact same moment? And for how long?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Well, Ikea does have one that gives you a bit of counterspace:

It's worth noting, though, that they just don't seem to believe in counters--as the countertops get wider the sinks get bigger to take up just as much of the space.

Here is a link that might be useful: vitviken

• gabbythecat
    10 years ago

Sorry, but the idea of sinks *that* close together makes me feel like it could be dangerous - two people brushing their teeth at the same time, bumping into each other, elbows in the eyes, etc. (I *know* you didn't ask for opinions about if your plan is good, so I apologize for giving mine)...the two faucets in one sink looks neat - if you could fit it into your decor?

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Honestly, I don't understand the point of two faucets in one sink. If you can share a sink (which I can't, it just grosses me out), why can't you share a faucet, too? I'm not being snarky, I just don't really understand what you would gain by having a second one.

• gabbythecat
    10 years ago

I guess with the two faucets, one person can be washing, one can be drinking/rinsing/spitting. Individual control, if that makes sense. Plus, I like the look - farmhouse look? Two sinks, especially in a small space, don't make sense to me - extra cost for plumbing, loss of storage and counter space...sharing a sink doesn't seem gross to me as long as the people sharing make an effort to keep it tidy.

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

sjhhockeyfan - My DH and I share one sink with almost no problem. But planning our reno we decided to put in a 48" sink with two faucets and two drains. The only time we have had a conflict is when brushing teeth at the same time, one person waiting with a mouth full of toothpaste while the other rinses and spits! The new sink comes with a wooden "bridge" that spans the depth of the sink and will make a nice spot to put the soap so we don't have to reach in front of one another.

We haven't installed it yet, so we may regret it. But it's a nice look and will give us about 10" of counter space on either side. We don't have a lot of "product" so this should be enough for us.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Lotteryticket - that's not a single sink, it's a double-sink masquerading as a single sink!!

• enduring
    10 years ago

You guys are too funny! This is what I love about GW. All the insight, side conversations, and inspiration is a tremendous resource.

Oh my plumber just showed up! Yippy. Getting all my waste drains put in today, then I think I am ready for the W/D :) Of course after I get the tile grouted, and the walls painted.

BTW, where is the OPer???

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Why would you need a big trough sink like that in the bathroom? Bathing babies or dogs?

• gabbythecat
    10 years ago

Hmmm. If you have a cat who like to play with the water coming from a (slightly) drippy faucet, it would be easier to let the cat have her own faucet. You know, so you don't spit on her head...(we honestly have that problem right now). But she really doesn't need her own sink....

• Bunny
    10 years ago

My female cat would LOVE her own sink and faucet. It's much more fun drinking that way! I bought a water dish that recirculates the water with a running stream, but it started making strange noises and I decided it might not be safe.

• rickyk22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback. Right now my wife and I share a sink and it is annoying. Pottery barn has a trough sink that is 40" with two faucets and I think that may be the way we go. the ikea ones are a good option also. there is no counterspace, but we have a single pedestal sink now which is no different.

please keep the ideas coming.

Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: pb vanity

• rickyk22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lotteryticket - where did you get that 48" vanity? any pictures?

our other idea is to have two vessel sinks, that way we can gain some counter space. Any thoughts or pictures of that?

thanks.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

ricky, if you already have no counter space, then you won't miss it. I already have it in abundance and I would miss it terribly.

• gabbythecat
    10 years ago

Have you thought of smaller sinks? You'd have to have the countertop cut to allow for them, of course...our log furniture store has smaller sinks - they are *copper*, though, which may or may not work for you (they are sold separately from the log furniture!).

Here is a link that might be useful: smaller bathroom sinks

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

Hi Ricky22 - The 48" is the sink itself . It is from a company in Canada called wetstyle. We are going with the undermount version and DH is building a 66" vanity.

Wetstyle is a bit more modern than i usually go for but we are going to put a soapstone counter on it with some classic polished chrome faucets and cup style pulls on the drawers. It might be only something I love but, hey. It's mine.

I think Duravit makes a trough like sink as well.

Originally I really wanted the Kohler utility sink. but DH was having none of that. LOL.

Here is a link that might be useful: 48

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

Hi sjhockeyfan,
    Gosh I shouldn't read this forum on my phone. I always get messed up trying to read the small print.

Try telling my DH that it's really a doublesink. It took a lot of compromise to get him to go for it!

This post was edited by Lotteryticket on Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 18:15

• eaforman
    9 years ago

People that don't get why you don't have 2 sinks obviously don't have a sloppy son and a neat daughter that have to share a bathroom. lol

• wildchild2x2
    9 years ago

I currently have two sinks in the hall bath in a 72" vanity. Cannot wait to be rid of it. Raised two children close in age and we had tons of guests and sleepovers. Never,ever can I remember both sinks being used at the same time. Never in 3 decades. Even with a door separating the privacy zone of toilet and tub. Never. You still have to clean two sinks used or not.

We are going to put in a narrow 18" linen tower at one end and a single sink in the remaining 54" counter top area. The sink will be off to one side leaving a wider free space between the linen tower and the sink. It's all about function for me. I never want to have to clean two sinks in a single bath again.

I don't use the bath for primping. I cannot stand counter top clutter so makeup and personal care stays behind closed doors. The counter top space is nice for that box of tissue, a basket of supplies for guests, and a nice looking upright paper towel holder instead of leaving out fingertip towels or guest hand towels on a towel bar that no one uses.

• Marilyn Ellinghaus
    8 years ago

try IKEA. They offer 39" double vanities.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Marilyn this thread is from 2013. No need to bring it back up.

• PRO
    Deluxe Vanity & Kitchen
    8 years ago

I'm pretty sure no one makes a 40" double sink. This will not only look really bad, but also not spacious enough. I highly recommend going with a single sink which would save you a headache and probably a lot of money. In any case, if you would still like the double sink option, you can use a trough sink. Native Trails makes a beautiful trough sink but its really expensive, but I'm sure you can find some good deals online. Good luck!

-Deluxe Vanity

• rickyk22
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I ended up getting the 40" double vanity from pottery barn and it is great. Only downside is no counter space, but my wife and I were used to that already and it has a bunch of drawers.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

>I'm pretty sure no one makes a 40" double sink.

AFAIK every manufacturer mentioned earlier in this thread still does.

• eaforman
    8 years ago

I got a GREAT 40 inch double sink from ikea. Yes, I was surprised too. Decent, but not tons of counter space, and really nice drawers!

• enduring
    8 years ago

RickyK22, which model of sink did you get at Pottery Barn? I can't find one on their website. Thanks.

• rickyk22
    Original Author
    8 years ago

enduring, it was the Mason console and it came in rustic and Mahogany. Unfortunately it doesn't look like they carry the double anymore. Maybe you can find one that someone is selling though. here is the link for the original mahogany: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/mason-double-farmhouse-sink-console/

• enduring
    8 years ago

Thanks Rickyk22 :) I'm not looking. I just wanted to see it cause I couldn't picture it in my head and there was not one on their website to be found. Thanks for the link. It is a trough like sink I see.