Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bergiesgirl

Contractor Quote- Whats missing here?

bergiesgirl
10 years ago

When my husband and I bought our first house this summer I think we were a little naive as to the cost to renovate our bathroom. DH is an unwilling DIY'er despite my enthusiastic, "We can do it!" confirmations. So my must have bathroom renovation is going the contractor route. So how much does it cost to take 80's carpet madness to contemporary cottage fabulosity, $16K-$20K :( We even scaled down the renovation and that quote was higher, uggh you don't want to know

Needless to say our budget was way off, DH was hoping for $8K tops and I was thinking $10K, but after I starting reading some of the threads here, I had an inkling it might be higher. So we got a labor only bid, but we have to get our own permits and every single construction material, down to the nails.

Can anyone tell me if there is something missing from my breakdown that's seems high, or the contractors $450 estimate for building materials is too low. Or if we have completely left out items we are going to need.

WORK ESTIMATE
ESTIMATE # Labor Only:$4,850.00

PROJECT DESCRIPTION: �.Bathroom Tile- Labor Only -incudes sheetrock/mud /framing for tub/ Hardiboard installation/ shower liner/

Tile Shower- remove & install tile/ pony wall $1,050.00
includes shampoo niche
remove & Install Tub / Framing / tile $895.00
Move framing/ Install pocket door $475.00
move Shelves/ rail/ to other wall $185.00
Texture
$285.00
Tile Floor bathroom &closet $625.00
Repair Cabinet
$80.00
install recessed lights (5), install vanity lights (3) $175.00
furr down removal / repair $300.00
All plumbing installation/ installation of fixtures
raise plumbing on tub / move plumbing on shower to other wall. toilet remove & intall/ install fixtures/ Single sink to double-vanity
$710.00

Once I add in materials
Building Materials as listed $450
Drop in Tub $500.00
Window $400.00
Shower Glass $1,000.00
Toilet $150.00
Granite $745.00
pocket door $150.00
72" Vanity $1000
2 sink faucets $400
1 roman tub faucet $69
Tile $1200
ceiling rainshower head $200
Handheld shower sliding bar $300
Vanity lights (3) $300
Recessed mirrored cabinets $300
Cabinet Hardware, Hooks,
magazine rack,TP holder, paint $200

We end up at $12,200. That is before our permits and no contingency. We really need to be under $12K max including contingency. Things we cant cut because they are already purchased, sink and tub faucet and vanity. construction material, seems a little sparse to me I thought there should be a lot more items there. I am also going to ask him to Hydroban the hardiboard, or to leave a days gap so we can do it.

Total building materials listed per contractor
12 hardiboard, Box of screws, 7ft of black liner, 3 bags of concrete mix, 8 bags of quick set for tile, 2 bags of grout around - $450
110 sq ft of tile for shower and tub area
180 sq ft for closet & bathroom

Comments (16)

• ceezeecz
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm near the end of a major master bath remodel. Very briefly just off the top of my head ...

Pocket door materials for $150 seems low. We put one in. You'll need a solid core door, the pocket door hardware (Johnson's is good, don't scrimp, you don't want to have to replace it later), some kind of door pull. Think: heavy is good.

Do you need new thresholds for shower and under pocket door?

How will the faucets in the shower be set up? Are you reusing existing pieces?

My permits cost me nearly $500.

• ceezeecz
    10 years ago

Critical point just made. You really must have the contractor get the permits in their name. In addition to what livewireoak mentioned, if anyone gets hurt on the job you want the contractor to be held liable, not you.

I agree that you should hold off for now unless you want to do DIY.

This post was edited by ceezeecz on Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 12:11

• williamsem
    10 years ago

I don't see any way to get this lower short of sacrificing material quality, reducing scope, or DIY. I notice the list includes installation of 5 recessed lights, but there is no budget line for those 5 lights. There is also no mention of venting or purchasing a vent fan.

I agree with those above about the permits. And depending on your market the labor might be ok, but it does sound a bit low. My own contractor let me buy the visible fixtures, but he chose and purchased anything needed for structure, support, attaching, leveling, etc. Our labor was in that ballpark, but we just replaced with no moving, adding, rearranging, etc., but it did include permits, construction materials, and the tub/surround.

• User
    10 years ago

Oh yeah, there are red flags here. First of all is you mentioning that you're the one pulling permits and buying the nuts and bolts. That's not how a real contractor operates. Ever. He might be OK with you buying the major fixtures that are decorative, but he'd send you to his supply house so he could be sure of the quality and you'd buy something that he knows works. You're already starting off the project with the wrong products, and telling him to install them. There's no contingency, which there HAS to be a good sized one in case of moisture damage after you do the demo.

I think you need to rethink the DIY aspect if you want to do this bath for your budget. Frankly, all you need is another set of muscles for the heavier stuff, and if hubby can do that occasionally, YOU can do everything else. Really. I promise. You just need the time to read up on it, and the time for the project to drag on longer. If you've got both of those things and are willing to buy a few tools, you can do it.

If you're not willing to DIY, then I agree with downgrading your materials by quite a bit, or better yet, saving more money to do it later. With a REAL contractor instead of a handyman type guy.

• bergiesgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks you everyone. It seems as though the consensus is there are too many red flags. He did offer to bid with or without materials and we asked him to bid without. I just expected there to be more materials, so I was concerned either corners would be cut or costs we should have known about will come up. In TX and labor is low and he is doing the majority of work himself. He has done beautiful work and we talked to a reference that gave him glowing reviews. I definitely get the point though, that since he will not pull permits, we are in essence the GC and would also need an insurance rider.

We just had a really good experience with our floor guy that did our nail down hand scraped floors that are gorgeous and great quality, we always get compliments on them. We did the same thing where he quoted labor, he then ordered all supplies and we called and paid for it, we got a great deal.

We are actually ok with acting as the GC and hiring labor, but need to do some more research. To make sure we know what to look for and check on the permit process. Thanks again everyone

• 8mpg
    10 years ago

I think labor is right on par and I live in Texas. We are not like most of the country where others on this board live.

Things to think about:
    Johnson hardware for the pocket door ($140 with the framing kit from home depot with free shipping. Tax was cheaper than shipping from Johnson themselves)
    Specify a type of waterproofing. The only ones I would go with are Kerdi or Hydroban (I will be doing hydroban on my remodel Im doing). I would also use the drain associated with the brand and not a generic.
    Install a nice vent fan. Panasonic fans have good reviews and that is what I ended up with. A good timer switch is fairly cheap.

• rmiriam
    10 years ago

Although I agree that you should make sure you do this right, I don't think it's a problem to pull the permits yourself. I'm in the middle of a kitchen remodel/bath addition (in Austin) and pulled the permits myself. They have the contractor's name on them, and inspections will all be performed as they would if he had done it. There's no reason to pay a professional for that if you have the time.

Also, I wonder if you could do a hybrid DIY to save money. For instance, I'm having a contractor do all the framing, plumbing, electrical, etc., but installing flooring and tiling the shower/backsplash myself. It's saving me a lot of money, but I still have the assurance that the structural stuff is being done properly.

• bergiesgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Miriam, that makes a lot of sense. We are going to tackle the guest bath ourselves when life isn't so hectic. My 9 1/2 month old just started walking and DH just started his PhD and cant commit to tiling on a timeline.

I do feel better though about pulling my own permits. I talked to our "contractor" and he said he would put on the Hydroban at no additional costs, and typically he just goes with the homeowner to purchase the construction items so they don't miss anything.

ceezeecz thank you for the pocket door and permit info. I am going to check out Johnson hardware. Yes we do need threshholds I completely forgot about that.

8pmg I definitely think the TX market is different. We have a little of a language barrier, but he definitely doesn't seem like a hack. When I told him we wanted two showerheads one rainshower and one sliding bar, he asked if I wanted it like the last bathroom he did and showed me the attached pic. Uhhh no, too fancy for us *lol*.

I am going to continue to agonize about this for the next couple day's and drive DH crazy. It's hard to put it off, because DH used it as his paint room and didn't clean up. Previous owner smoked in the house for 20 years, we had to prime and paint every single surface. Ripped out all the laminate and carpet and put in hardwood throughout.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• jrueter
    10 years ago

Also, when getting tiling quotes, if you want any decorative tiling, tiling on the diagonal, etc. that usually is more expensive because the labor is a bit more intensive (and often you need some additional material). These were spec'd out in our kitchen remodel.

Our contractor supplied most materials for construction. We supplied appliances (worked with them at the plumbing supply to choose), granite (through their recommended supplier and fabricator), fixtures, tile, and flooring. They provided me with amounts they needed for the flooring and tile and I placed the orders and paid for these items directly. They billed me (attaching receipts) for materials like electrical switches, paint, can lights. They pulled the permits and handled the inspections.

There is no substitute for a contractor you can work with. As hard as it is to wait, like everyone else, I strongly urge you to hold off until you can do it properly.

• ceezeecz
    10 years ago

I second jrueter.

• 8mpg
    10 years ago

rmiriam - I would have rather done the electrical, framing and plumbing rather than the tiling. Tiling is an art in my opinion and you can tell the difference in most DIY vs a pro. I have done quite a bit of tiling as a DIY person and still dont think Im that great. Electrical is much easier than most would think, framing is easy (easier if you have a nail gun), and plumbing isnt terribly hard if you are not moving drains.

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

I hope your project turns out well, but there are a LOT of tales of people proceeding with projects despite red flags, and they should have listened to their guts on that. I hope you're among the 10% rather than the 90%.

Please keep us updated and post some pics of the progress!

• geoffrey_b
    10 years ago

I remodeled - DIY - one of our bathrooms last year (not the master bath) The cost of materials was about $8000.

I think with labor you should plan on $15,000.

• 8mpg
    10 years ago

The probably about GeoffreyB's price is everyone is different. I remodeled a small bathroom (DIY) at my fiance's parents house for ~$2000. That included new vanity, toilet, cabinet, medicine cabinet, tub surround (tile) shower valve, floor tile, light fixture and tub/shower trim.

• bergiesgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank You everyone. We have decided to hold off on the MB renovation and just continue to focus on the design aspect and buy materials when we find good deals. The work we have to do in the kitchen is less invasive so we are going to start there, hopefully we will have gained enough confidence when we revisit the bathroom next year we can do some of the work ourselves.