Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which way should cross faucet handles turn?

Posted by nomorebluekitchen (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 8, 08 at 8:43

My plumber set it up so that the hot turns clockwise and the cold turns counter clockwise. It feels very awkward to me. I want him to redo it, but what is the typical way these usually work?

I'm thinking they both should go on clockwise and off counter clockwise.

Anita

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which way should cross faucet handles turn?

Generally, it's considered most intuitive if cross handles both turn in the same direction. Counter-clockwise to turn the flow on, and clockwise to turn the flow off. This conforms with the same directions you would twist a jar lid to open or close it, or the same directions you turn the nut on a bolt to tighten or loosen it.

Lever handles, on the other hand, should turn in opposite directions. The hot side should turn counter-clockwise to turn on the flow, and clockwise to turn off the flow. The cold lever is opposite, clockwise to turn on the flow, and counter-clockwise turn turn it off. This allows you to pull both levers toward you to turn on the flow, and push them away from you to turn off the flow.

o
Further Clarification

My posting above is with reference to a deck-mounted faucet. When referring to bath or shower valves mounted on a wall, levers are usually set up so that lifting the lever on both the hot and cold sides turns on the flow, and pushing down on the lever turns off the flow. Cross handles mounted on a wall usually operate just as they would if deck-mounted.

o

I agree with what wa8b said.

I think your plumber did it right.

I ordered three wall mounted faucets with cross handles and they sent me valves that were for lever handles, which meant that the operated differently - which would drive me nuts.

I had to bug them to send me the right valves, but they did and now the handles operate the same, as they should, imo.

o

wa8b, thanks. I think you're right that it should match twisting a jar or screw open. That will make perfect intuitive sense. I'll have him adjust the hot so that it matches the cold. It is really aggravating the way it is currently done.

thetews, the plumber set mine up so they operate differently now (cold turns on to the right, hot turns on to the left) and it is awful! He did not do it the way I want it, but he's a great guy and he'll fix it. I hope we have the right valves!

Anita

o

I have to say that I think they should mirror each other. I can't imagine it the other way... but never thought of it... I have 3 cross handle faucets to install in the coming months in the master bath... hmmm...

o

at the end of the day, it is always to be the way you want it done, and a good plumber can make that happen. however; it is proper for handles and stems to turn opposite (mirror one another). hot is to turn counter clockwise and cold is to turn clockwise.
as for preference- there are sound logicall reasons to have it either way. the only time there seems to be an issue is when the handles are NOT levers. levers are easy to explain by there nature. round and cross levers create debate. since the industry and plumbers like things to be the same or consistant, almost all faucets and especially high end faucets will turn opposite one another regardless of the handle type. but again- a good plumber will make your round or cross handles turn in any direction, left or right- hot and cold. there are many combinations.

o

What plumdog wrote.

The hot and cold mirror one another. Levers and cross-handles can use the same valve stem. I've always installed them to be a counter-clockwise hot valve and a clockwise cold valve.

No one has ever asked for different.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here