Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karle13_gw

Toto toilets

karle13
10 years ago

Getting ready to buy the toto drake 2, it's so much cheaper buying online, no tax or shipping! We are buying 2 of them ! Anyone use national builder supply, an online co??? Any recommendations please!!

Comments (8)

• ceezeecz
    10 years ago

I bought two of them at Performance Toilets about 7 years ago.

They were fantastic. They even quickly, with no hassle, replaced one that was delivered with a crack. They let me keep the broken one for parts. The flushing lever had been over tightened, probably at the factory. But that was a long time ago and I've no experience with them since.

Here is a link that might be useful: Performance Toilets

• herring_maven
    10 years ago

karlel3: "Getting ready to buy the toto drake 2, it's so much cheaper buying online, no tax or shipping! We are buying 2 of them ! Anyone use national builder supply, an online co??? Any recommendations please!!"

We did purchase a Toto Vespa II from National Builders Supply. The transaction went smoothly; however, the packaging -- mostly sprayed on foam -- took three days (a couple of hours each day) to peel off of the toilet. There is no way that the UPS delivery person will wait for you to inspect the toilet, so if it HAS been broken in shipping, you're on your own proving that was not you breaking it after arrival.

As for the sales tax, if you live in a state that imposes sales taxes, then you are liable to the state for a use tax that exactly equals the amount of the sales tax had you purchased locally. Every state that imposes a sales tax has a corresponding use tax for items that its residents purchase out of state; there are no exceptions.

Of course, the cost of administration would exceed the revenue if the state were to chase down every bag of potato chips you bring in from out of state, but the revenue for big-ticket items makes it worth the state's while to track down the taxes (and interest and penalties) due on those items. Is a Toto Drake a big enough expenditure to warrant state surveillance? Maybe, but probably not; but even if you can get away with a crime, it does not make committing the crime right.

• karle13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks herring maven, I think we will just order from a local plumbing co and let them unpack it lol!!

• azmom
    10 years ago

Don't know if you have Pacific Sales in your city. This spring we ordered two Toto Ultramax toilets from there. At the time PSâÂÂs price was lower than any vendorâÂÂs on the internet. Their prices on the Drake line were also lower than any internet price, but we did not pick a Drake since we wanted to have one piece toilet.

We have been shopping and doing price comparison for a while since we need to remodel 3 bathrooms and one kitchen. I am surprised by the deals we could get locally. Anything big, anything costs a lot to ship, we buy locally.
    After negotiation, we found out the price difference between local and online is not that much.

Our hall bath GC screwed up the dimension of the counter top, we had to change the sink size. It was great that we could just drive to the local store to make switch, without waiting for shipping, dealing the hassles of restocking fee â¦etc.

• karle13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Azmom, we live in Balto! I don't think we have any Pacific sales here! I am going to check all our local plumbing places!

• qs777
    10 years ago

We also got ours from Pacific Sales. I believe they are now owned by Best Buy.

FYI - we have been happy with ours, except that one has glazing missing in a certain area under the rim. I wish I would have checked that when we got them. Unfortunately, I realized this when I found that it was very difficult to keep clean and I can't seem to get my son to control his aim. ;) I'll know better next time!

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

I picked up a Toto Drake and Toto pedestal sink from HomePerfect.com a few years ago. Everything went well with the order and the prices were excellent.

• katie111
    10 years ago

We just redid our bath & our kids bath. We ordered 2 Toto Drake's from National Building Supply. Can't remember if they are Drake or Drake II's. We ordered them a couple months apart. Both arrived within a few days with no issues. I wasn't here when they arrived so the contractor's unloaded them. They did not mention anything about strange packaging nor did I see anything like that in our garage. I would definitely order from them again. We live in the Boston area and the supply houses near us wanted much more for them than we paid. Not sure if our models were discontinued or something because they were about $100 cheaper than buying them locally.

Oh, and by the way, we absolutely love our toilets. Trying to convince my husband to replace our Kohler in our powder room with a Toto Drake. They are so much better than the Kohler.