Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kap999

Help with small bathroom.

kap999
9 years ago

This is a bathroom in a townhouse. There are no windows, but there is a skylight beyond Wall A in the small office. The door to the office is always open so there is light. The other door is an accordion door. I want to tile the floor with heat underneath and change the old fiberglass spa bathtub for a glass and tile shower (there is another bathtub in the house).

However, I don't have any good ideas for the vanity/cabinet and toilet areas (circled in yellow in the diagram and shown in the photo). There is a floor to ceiling partition next to the toilet. I think this could be a much nicer part of the layout, but not sure what to do.... Any help/ ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
ken
PS I don't see a way to post a second image, so I will post a photo next

Comments (7)

• kap999
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the most problematic part, the toilet, partition and vanity. The diagram is a little inaccurate since the vanity/base extends the length of Wall E. The real entrance to the bathroom is in Wall D. The door on Wall A leads to a small office under the eaves, but the only way in is through the bathroom.

• numbersjunkie
    9 years ago

What else is outside of the doorway on wall c and behind the tub wall? Just wondering if there would be a way to allow access to the office without going through the bathroom. So awkward.

Would this be your only shower? Does this bath serve other bedrooms on this floor?

• sheloveslayouts
    9 years ago

What a great puzzle you have. My first question is... could you possibly turn the tub area into a hallway with a door at the very end for the office and a separate door perpendicular to it for the bath like this very rough layout:

• kap999
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good questions -- but I am afraid that I am stuck with the doors and walls. Beyond Wall C is a stairway. The office location is a little unconventional, but it was put there to make some use of the under-eve space. I have kind of grown to like the convenience of the location as I get older :-).

There is another bathroom with tub and shower. This bathroom only serves one bedroom.

In general, I don't want to move the plumbing, especially the toilet. I think that the sink's plumbing could be extended to allow some flexibility in vanity/sink location.

Also, would like to hear any ideas re: lights/vanity/cabinets, in addition to layout.

I think that the greatest potential is with the sink/vanity/partition.... but not sure what that would look like.

Thanks.

• numbersjunkie
    9 years ago

If you can, I would move the vanity to the same wall as the toilet. Not sure what point the partition serves - seems silly in such a small bath - if anything I might make it into a pony wall to open the space up.

If you haven't already, a search of the houzz site might give you some ideas/inspiration. Or tell us what type of look you are going for and what your budget is before we can make vanity suggestions. And how much storage space do you need in this bath? Would a linen tower be useful?

• kap999
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, numbersjunkie

I don't know what purpose the partition serves, either, and am willing to kill it if it makes sense. What is a pony wall? Is it half-height?

For what would you use the wall where the vanity is now? Storage? I don't need a super lot of storage. The linen closet is right outside the bathroom, but it would be nice for non-linen, bathroom things, medicine, cosmetics and such to have more storage.

I am not sure of my budget, but not high end, probably middle, but haven't gotten a feel of what that is (I am in California) or should be. I am partial to dark wood and like the articles at http://www.dutchcrafters.com/ as a starting point. More toward what might be considered masculine.

• kap999
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, numbersjunkie

I don't know what purpose the partition serves, either, and am willing to kill it if it makes sense. What is a pony wall? Is it half-height?

For what would you use the wall where the vanity is now? Storage? I don't need a super lot of storage. The linen closet is right outside the bathroom, but it would be nice for non-linen, bathroom things, medicine, cosmetics and such to have more storage.

I am not sure of my budget, but not high end, probably middle, but haven't gotten a feel of what that is (I am in California) or should be. I am partial to dark wood and like the articles at http://www.dutchcrafters.com/ as a starting point. More toward what might be considered masculine.