Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjlynch723_gw

Master bathroom addition. Which plan would you choose?

jjlynch723
10 years ago

I have decided this coming spring, I will be converting one of my bedrooms to a Master Bathroom / Walk In Closet.

My reasoning is 3 bedrooms to 1 bathroom just does not work on 1 level.

I will do just about all the work myself. So far I have come up with two plans. Let me know which plan you would you prefer and if possible why?

Here is my existing bedroom and bathroom plan prior to remodeling. As you can see my existing bathroom is tiny, and so is the bedroom as well.

Both plans involve me removing the chimney which I need to do anyways to open up space in the basement. (I already replaced my furnace, so I have no use for the chimney)

This post was edited by jjlynch723 on Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 2:28

Comments (6)

• jjlynch723
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Plan 1

• jjlynch723
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Plan 2

I figured out a way to add a 6' tub since I am 6'3". I achieved this by removing the tub from smaller non-master bathroom and converting it to a shower.

The size of the shower in the master bathroom increased.

Walk in closet got a little smaller in this plan but I feel it was kind of wasted space anyways.

The major downside I see is that I can't figure out a good way to have a separate toilet room in this plan.

This post was edited by jjlynch723 on Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 2:27

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i personally would want the larger closet space rather than a tub in the master bath... but i am not a frequent bather... i also wouldn't want the toilet sitting right next to the tub in the masterbath...
    if i really wanted a larger tub to bathe in, i would probably try to put a larger (66"??) and deeper tub in the 2nd bath by bumping into the closet a 1/2' .
    i would definitely have the shower door enter into the bathroom rather than into the toilet room.

• Karenseb
    10 years ago

I prefer the second one. Very efficient and I love the big shower. You are only loosing 3 inches of hanging space in the second plan- plus the dresser.
    You might get more hanging space in the second floor plan by moving the window to the upper left corner of the closet and doing an L shaped hanging arrangement on the bottom and right side of the closet.
    On the first plan, I'd leave the shower door in the toilet room to make use of the five foot length. If you change the door to the hallway, your shower head should be on the long side wall which makes for a small shower feel.

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

I would switch the closet and shower in plan 2. That way the closet is close to the bedroom and you don't have to go all the way through the bathroom to get there. It would be opposite the vanity. It would also have the shower plumbing closer to the tub so that might be a tiny bit easier/cheaper?

I don't think a toilet room is necessary. Possibly if you are sharing the bathroom with children or other household members. But if it's your master bathroom I feel like it's a nice to have not a need to have.

We also repurposed an unused bedroom for a master closet and I have no regrets.

• jjlynch723
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the responses. Lottery, its funny you said to flip the two. As I have been thinking it over that crossed my mind. I will post another layout with this thought in mind.
    I think it makes more sense to do that, like you said you don't have to go all the way through the bathroom then.

Nice to hear others have converted bedrooms. I have a 5 bed house already, so currently this room is just used for extra storage anyways. Adding a bathroom and closet will be much more efficient use of space.

This post was edited by jjlynch723 on Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 1:33