Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pipdog_gw

finally picked the tile! ready to start the bath remodel!

Pipdog
9 years ago

Our long-awaited bath remodel is about to start!

We bought a house with a non-functioning bathroom last year, and life got crazy and we were just too busy to tackle this project. We're finally digging into our remodel, and this bath -- a time capsule from 1957 with gold wallpaper and a non-functioning shower and toilet -- is our first project. We tackled the major sewer line issues when we moved in (there was raw sewage in the shower), but this room has sat unused for 12 months. Mostly because I am so picky about tile and struggled with the "look" of this bathroom.

We finally picked out our tile last week -- a bone-colored mosaic for the shower walls, and a 12x24 large format tile in off white for the floor. There will be teak on the shower floor. We'll have a floating walnut vanity. Still deciding about the counter top.

Very excited to get started on this journey!

Here's the before:

the tile choices were overwhelming!

Here are the winners!

Comments (12)

• llcp93
    9 years ago

Exciting! Can't wait to follow your progress.

• boubou64
    9 years ago

Nice, so much to choose from! keep sharing pictures

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Looking forward to seeing the during and after pics!!!

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks, zookeeper, cat mom and boubou64!

The hardest part of this remodel was figuring out how to make the best use of the indoor/outdoor space. The outdoor space was just a dead zone when we bought it. I think we've figured out a way to make it work. Here's the current shower with outside enclosure:

• lotteryticket
    9 years ago

Your bathroom has so much potential and I love your tile choices. Thanks for sharing.

• capeterson_tx
    9 years ago

Wow, what a fun project! The teak is beautiful. Can't wait to see the walnut vanity.

That outdoor space is a unique challenge, looking forward to seeing what you do!

• maxmillion_gw
    9 years ago

Very exciting! We are doing a teak shower floor and floating walnut vanity as well. Your space is beautiful. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

If you are at all interested in channeling the current wallcovering in something current check out Anna French (through Thibaut) in the Braxton pattern. Thibaut also sells several metallic cork wallcoverings.

• Arapaho-Rd
    9 years ago

pipdog, really like your choices. Since I'm hung up on tile choices for our MBR, I'm wondering if you had any hesitation about using mosaic for shower walls, i.e., amount of grout lines? TIA

• enduring
    9 years ago

I like that old bathroom vanity area :) This will be lovely I'm sure. I think the colors you've got will look great. Your last bathroom was so nice.

I have a walnut vanity in a very contemporary look. It isn't floating but kind of looks floating. I have the toe kick a little higher and wrapped around both sides. It is a smallish room so the toe kick isn't really visible. Almost like it is floating yet without the extra support that I'd have had to install. Mentioning this in case the floating system isn't going to work for you. You'd still will have the feel of floating.

Edited to add a link to Pipdogs other bathroom from several years ago. Wonderful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished! Transitional white marble bathroom

This post was edited by enduring on Thu, Oct 23, 14 at 16:24

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I can't wait to see this move along :)

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks! I'm sure I will be posting lots over the next month or so asking for advice or input.

enduring, thanks for posting our old bathroom! Your bath is one of my all time favorites! I'm happy to report that the vanity in our bath is going to be re-purposed in another MCM home in Long Beach. It's such a cool vanity, but we need to re-configure the space.

arapaho, we didn't have any hesitation as this is a guest bath shower and probably won't see much use. We'll probably use epoxy grout unless our tile installer convinces us otherwise. The one good thing is that this tile is not natural stone so we can use chemicals to clean it. Our last bathroom was all marble and the maintenance was more than we bargained for.

pal, those Anna French wallpapers are fantastic. I do like the gold, but I am unsure if that might compete with the blingy mosaic tile we chose for the shower walls. I think we're going to wait until the tile is all installed to make a decision on wallpaper. It pains me to take down the current gold wallpaper -- I've grown to love it after a year, but it's falling off the walls in parts and needs to go. I may re-use part of it and make some framed art with it.

maxmillion, can't wait to see photos of your project! did you decide on your paint colors?

thanks CAPeterson and Lotteryticket, I'll be back with updates. Demo starts Monday!

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz