Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monicakm1

Off Centered Vanity Faucet

monicakm_gw
9 years ago

Do you have one? Do you like it? If not, why? Any disadvantages to placing the faucet at a 10 or 2 o'clock position? With our larger sink and thick granite backsplash, it might be a tight fit to put the faucet where it normally goes. Fabricator is calling me Monday after he remeasures everything. I called him today with my concern. The faucet is just a one hole (no escutcheon). Would be easier to clean around too. But if you can think of any reason why I shouldn't (provided I have a choice) I'm all ears :)
Delta Addison:
Spout Length: 5-1/16â³
Spout Total Height: 10-1/4â³
Spout Height Deck to Aerator: 5-3/4â³

Comments (16)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Is the sink still centered? My tiny master bath has a 40" vanity, with the sink all the way to to right (into the corner the room). While the mirror is still centered, I find myself standing over the sink and against the wall and I hate it. Will having your faucet off-center make you feel like you need to stand over it, or will you still center yourself over the basin?

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

this is my husband's bathroom. The vanity is 36 inches wide. The sink is to the right. The wall is on the left side of the vanity. The mirror will stretch the entire 36 inches. I don't know if he will feel the need to shift over more in front of the faucet or stay centered at the sink. That's why I'm asking ð He won't have much need to touch the faucet because we're installing a Tapmaster (#3) I would anticipate a period of adjustment. He's open to the idea but I thought I'd get some feedback from those who have one.

• enduring
    9 years ago

Is your sink square or round? My sister has an off set faucet that is on a square sink. The faucet comes out of the corner area of the sink. The hands don't fit well in the corner. The spout isn't long enough to get your hands out of the corner to get water. If the sink is round, I wouldn't think it would make a difference. The square shape seems to, in sisters case. Can you do a mock up and experiment what it is like getting your hands under the faucet without getting water all over the counter. Use a cardboard box or hat box.

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The sink is oval. I can't make a mock up to test it because there is a rod sticking out of the bottom of the faucet that keeps me from being able to place it flat on a counter. Plus, my sink is at the fabricator's and the countertop isn't in yet. Here is a picture of the sink. Again, here are some of the faucet's measurements. I found plenty of pictures on Houzz for "offset" and "off centered" faucets in bathrooms. But I don't know how they work in real life.
    Thanks for the replies so far :)
    I would just come around to the right side as far as I needed for the faucet not to look crowed/cramped and to be able to clean around it better.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I have a 36" vanity and it feels cohesive with the lights, faucet, and sink all lining up. Would tiling the backsplash give you enough room? I'm not a fan of the chunky granite splashes. Maybe a gold or metallic glazed ceramic tile as bs and tub surround would be a good choice.

Here's a photo of metallic glazes on ceramic from the kitchen forum.

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you may_flowers. I'm not a big fan of the granite backsplash either. From the get-go I wanted to do a glass or metallic tile but my husband nixed the idea. Yes, there would be room if we weren't using the granite backsplash. At this point, I'm not positive there isn't room right now. My husband doesn't seem to think there will be based on the setup in my bathroom. As you can see in the picture, the back of the faucet is touching the backsplash tile. Our sinks are the same Oceana sinks, same size, different color.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I'd try again with him. You have the tile setter coming out anyway to do the tub surround. I'd get something that was close to the granite, even black, because maybe he feels tile would be too fussy. I suggested the metallic glaze thinking you could use it as an accent in the tub.

Your granite looks like the Giallo Ornamental Light I put in my guest bath last year. I see you noticed the gray/green bits and used it as your accent. Nice! I haven't done the backsplash yet.

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It is GO but I don't recall seeing the "Light" in the name. I love it! I haven't seen any green in it tho. There is gray though. My bathroom was based on the Caribbean cruises we've been on. Sand and driftwood, and the glass tiles are called "Sea Tones". The glass sink...well I just liked it :) The floor is a travertine look porcelain in "Moonlight". It looks like the beautiful sandy beaches :)
    My husband will be doing the rest of the work AFTER DEER season. Construction will halt from the first weekend in Nov till after the first weekend in Jan :( This is the first time we've ever hired out this kind of work. I like the idea of glass or metallic tiles as a backsplash but if the granite works with the faucet we'll probably stick with that. I'll be hearing from the granite fabricator tomorrow. I hope this makes sense. I've got a 6 and an 8 year old running me. My 55 year old brain has a hard time concentrating on more than one thing at at time LOL.

• enduring
    9 years ago

Bless your husbands deer season! May all be safe and bountiful.

I have a 4" backsplash on my vanity and I like it just fine. There is room for the faucet.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

It's the side splash where the thick granite is noticeable, especially on a 36" vanity. I don't mind it along the back. It's even a good idea if the mirror is going to come down to it.

• twilcox
    9 years ago

I forgot to mention in my response on my other thread, that standing directly in front of the sink is not a problem. (no shifting to the side).

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

May-Flowers, I've been thinking about your comment about the "side" backsplash and thinking about how much more room (on a 36" vanity, any extra space is a lot!). I was considering talking to DH about it when I thought about what a liquid spill would do to the wall. Wouldn't that be a valid concern? Have you eliminated the side splash on your vanity?
    Thanks

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I haven't had the tile installed yet. I haven't had a spill in the 18 months I've been without, but I don't wash my face in that sink. I mainly have drips around the faucet from wet hands.

This looks a little unbalanced with granite:

[Traditional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by Rehoboth Beach Home Builders Echelon Custom Homes

This looks better with the narrow backsplash. The mirrors protect the wall. I've read about the 2" splashes in Kitchens and remember that some fragile granites can break while trying to fabricate a short splash.

[Contemporary Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2103) by Roswell General Contractors Innovative Construction Inc.

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've never seen a 2" backsplash :o It doesn't look bad in this contemporary setting but our bathroom is anything but contemporary. Looking at an image and especially straight on like this, I agree, it does look unbalanced. The starkness of the color palette and the darker granite accentuates it. I don't think it will look out of place in this dark, dramatic bathroom. I'm having the backsplash top done in an ogee edge so it will look more "finished" and add an element of interest. The flat topped bs just look unfinished to me.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

That is an excellent idea! I remember considering that myself.

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And it's finally in! Granite and sink was installed tonight (and I mean TONIGHT). They didn't get here till 7 and left at 9:30. I had them drill the faucet hole at 2'oclock. Plumber will be here Monday. Can't wait to see how it's going to look and to have a Tapmaster in DH's bathroom (and to have DH back in his own bathroom )