Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How necessary is sanagloss for the Toto toilet?

Posted by lazycook (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 1:09

I'm looking at a 1.6 gal Toto Drake. The model with the ADA height and elongated bowl does not come with sanagloss. The shorter height model does have sanagloss but I want the ADA height. Is 1.6 gal flush good enough so that sanagloss is not needed? OR should I go with the Drake II which is 1.28 gal with sanagloss? Salesperson said that she likes her 1.6 gal flush better than the 1.28. Which is better...Drake 1.6 without sanagloss or Drake II with 1.28 gal and sanagloss???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How necessary is sanagloss for the Toto toilet?

I believe the bigger issue is whether you need 1.6 gal or can use 1.28 gpf. That's because plumbing codes have been modified requiring smaller diameter waste pipes to accommodate the 1.28 gpf. The old standard larger waste pipes do not fill sufficiently on horizontal runs to carry solids with less water. Ask your plumber for an assessment or go 1.6 gpf. I believe the new standard is 3" waste lines but not positive.

As to your question about Sanagloss - it's really a preference. Yes, it is smoother and suppose to remain clean. We have two Ultramax with Sanagloss, like them but they still get cleaned regularly the old fashioned way.

o

I don't know the answer to the sanagloss vs. not question, but we had 4 Ultramax with Sanagloss in our previous home, and they remained absolutely clean always -- still got cleaned 'the old fashioned way' every couple of weeks, but they never looked like they needed it.

o

I will admit to being a lousy housekeeper. I clean some point after it has "needed it" for a while. That makes me the perfect person to say that, compared to other brand-new, non-Toto toilets, the Toto with Sanagloss was WONDERFUL! We put the Toto into our last house a couple of years before we moved. When we moved here, we needed to switch to comfort-height toilets. Instead of taking the Toto with us and putting the new inferior toilet in the old house, we put two new inferior toilets here. They get dirty far too soon. When we remodel, I am thinking of donating the 8 year-old Kohler and getting a Toto with Sanagloss.

o

I really regret not choosing sanagloss on my two toto toilets. Everything... and I mean, everything, sticks to the bowl.

o

Thanks. I've decided to get the Toto Drake II which has sanagloss. My only worry is how only 1.28 gal is going to work. Will we end up having to flush twice?

o

Thanks. I've decided to get the Toto Drake II which has sanagloss. My only worry is how only 1.28 gal is going to work. Will we end up having to flush twice?

o

lazycook: "My only worry is how only 1.28 gal is going to work. Will we end up having to flush twice?"

The 1.28 gpf Totos flush every bit as well as their 1.6 gpf predecessors. You will not need to flush twice.

o

I have the Drake, without sanagloss. Love the toilet, but agree that EVERYTHING sticks to it. :(

It flushes wonderfully, but needs a lot of cleaning.

o

I am in the very same dilemma. with three large males in the house, the plunger has become an almost daily ritual. This is the primary concern. We are tall and want the higher, elongated toilets. The sanagloss and Double Cyclone for cleanliness sound like a benefit, but not at the cost of plunging.

(I have read how we are in the overkill area of amount of mass moved, but it is hard not to go for the most).

Lazycook, (and others) how do you like your decision?

o

I've had the Toto Vespin 11 installed for a few weeks now. It is bascially a skirted version of the Drake 11. Love the Sanigloss, and compared to my two other dual flush toilets seems to flush better and no streaking. Have to admit have also not cleaned it...appears sparkling clean! Though I wonder if using a bidet seat and the additional water that produces has any bearing on that? I guess it's the water in the tank, not the water in the bowl that has any bearing? I just notice, that there appears to be more water sitting in bowl than in my other two. So does that water get calculated into the 1.28 or the 1.6 number, or does that number reflect just the volume of water in the tank? If there are two volumes flushed together, I would assume the Vespin/Drake has a larger total volume...

o

(To answer the Q re: plunging--
I used to have 8 gallon guzzlers (so, not even low flow) which would clog occasionally. Drake II has been fabulous. We even replaced all the church toilets with Drake II on my recommendation (teachers were getting tired of plunging) and they are all THRILLED! If you are concerned, maybe replace 1 to see how it does for you. If it "fails" your test repeatedly, you'll probably need to go with a Caroma.)

o

This might sound strange but I have two Totos, one with sanigloss and one without. Both Drakes. I bought the sanigloss model first and after finding that it always needed cleaning I saved $ and bought the regular model for the other bathroom. Nothing sticks to the regular, I can't figure out why my sanigloss is so needy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here