Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lazycook_gw

How necessary is sanagloss for the Toto toilet?

lazycook
10 years ago

I'm looking at a 1.6 gal Toto Drake. The model with the ADA height and elongated bowl does not come with sanagloss. The shorter height model does have sanagloss but I want the ADA height. Is 1.6 gal flush good enough so that sanagloss is not needed? OR should I go with the Drake II which is 1.28 gal with sanagloss? Salesperson said that she likes her 1.6 gal flush better than the 1.28. Which is better...Drake 1.6 without sanagloss or Drake II with 1.28 gal and sanagloss???

Comments (17)

• fnmroberts
    10 years ago

I believe the bigger issue is whether you need 1.6 gal or can use 1.28 gpf. That's because plumbing codes have been modified requiring smaller diameter waste pipes to accommodate the 1.28 gpf. The old standard larger waste pipes do not fill sufficiently on horizontal runs to carry solids with less water. Ask your plumber for an assessment or go 1.6 gpf. I believe the new standard is 3" waste lines but not positive.

As to your question about Sanagloss - it's really a preference. Yes, it is smoother and suppose to remain clean. We have two Ultramax with Sanagloss, like them but they still get cleaned regularly the old fashioned way.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I don't know the answer to the sanagloss vs. not question, but we had 4 Ultramax with Sanagloss in our previous home, and they remained absolutely clean always -- still got cleaned 'the old fashioned way' every couple of weeks, but they never looked like they needed it.

• Nancy in Mich
    10 years ago

I will admit to being a lousy housekeeper. I clean some point after it has "needed it" for a while. That makes me the perfect person to say that, compared to other brand-new, non-Toto toilets, the Toto with Sanagloss was WONDERFUL! We put the Toto into our last house a couple of years before we moved. When we moved here, we needed to switch to comfort-height toilets. Instead of taking the Toto with us and putting the new inferior toilet in the old house, we put two new inferior toilets here. They get dirty far too soon. When we remodel, I am thinking of donating the 8 year-old Kohler and getting a Toto with Sanagloss.

• lazycook
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. I've decided to get the Toto Drake II which has sanagloss. My only worry is how only 1.28 gal is going to work. Will we end up having to flush twice?

• lazycook
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. I've decided to get the Toto Drake II which has sanagloss. My only worry is how only 1.28 gal is going to work. Will we end up having to flush twice?

• herring_maven
    10 years ago

lazycook: "My only worry is how only 1.28 gal is going to work. Will we end up having to flush twice?"

The 1.28 gpf Totos flush every bit as well as their 1.6 gpf predecessors. You will not need to flush twice.

• patriceny
    10 years ago

I have the Drake, without sanagloss. Love the toilet, but agree that EVERYTHING sticks to it. :(

It flushes wonderfully, but needs a lot of cleaning.

• goofyyno
    10 years ago

I am in the very same dilemma. with three large males in the house, the plunger has become an almost daily ritual. This is the primary concern. We are tall and want the higher, elongated toilets. The sanagloss and Double Cyclone for cleanliness sound like a benefit, but not at the cost of plunging.

(I have read how we are in the overkill area of amount of mass moved, but it is hard not to go for the most).

Lazycook, (and others) how do you like your decision?

• raehelen
    10 years ago

I've had the Toto Vespin 11 installed for a few weeks now. It is bascially a skirted version of the Drake 11. Love the Sanigloss, and compared to my two other dual flush toilets seems to flush better and no streaking. Have to admit have also not cleaned it...appears sparkling clean! Though I wonder if using a bidet seat and the additional water that produces has any bearing on that? I guess it's the water in the tank, not the water in the bowl that has any bearing? I just notice, that there appears to be more water sitting in bowl than in my other two. So does that water get calculated into the 1.28 or the 1.6 number, or does that number reflect just the volume of water in the tank? If there are two volumes flushed together, I would assume the Vespin/Drake has a larger total volume...

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

(To answer the Q re: plunging--
    I used to have 8 gallon guzzlers (so, not even low flow) which would clog occasionally. Drake II has been fabulous. We even replaced all the church toilets with Drake II on my recommendation (teachers were getting tired of plunging) and they are all THRILLED! If you are concerned, maybe replace 1 to see how it does for you. If it "fails" your test repeatedly, you'll probably need to go with a Caroma.)

• scpalmetto
    10 years ago

This might sound strange but I have two Totos, one with sanigloss and one without. Both Drakes. I bought the sanigloss model first and after finding that it always needed cleaning I saved $ and bought the regular model for the other bathroom. Nothing sticks to the regular, I can't figure out why my sanigloss is so needy.

• Chinchette
    8 years ago

Old thread, but I'm wondering if anyone else had had trouble with sanigloss. I am thinking of replacing my 10 year old drake because of the dark rust colored stains in the very bottom of the bowl. I have to use pumice stone on it but they come back. Too much maintenance. My other toto's don't have the sanigloss. One does not have the issue at all, and another has it but not as much as the sanigloss.

• Bunny
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have a 1.28 Drake and I'm pretty sure it does NOT have sanagloss. It's 18 months old and gets used all the time. No streaking, no clogging. It amazes me that such a low-flush manages business so well. It's a great toilet.

ETA: Maybe mine does have sanagloss. I just googled it and I don't see where that model has an option without SG. Whatever. No streaking or clogging. I'm in California and I couldn't buy a 1.6.

• goofyyno
    8 years ago

I have had no problems with the sanagloss. I'm not sure this one stays any cleaner then my others. I have the 1.28 and it is much better in terms of clogging then my regular american standard, but too much TP does back it up, so I am still doing a two flushes with each BM.

• Bunny
    8 years ago

goofy reminded me of something. Yes, a two-flusher is part of the program. But I would do that for any capacity toilet. :)

• BB Galore
    8 years ago

I've got the Toto Lloyd 1.6 with no sanigloss. If I thought I could get away with smuggling 3.5 gallon flush toilets out of Canada, I'd have done that. It's not just about the skid, it's about moving the waste of monthly sanitary products. More water flushes better.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler