Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mariposatraicionera

Using two borders? Pics please

I am very keen on the 2 x 2 glass matte tiles (shimmer blend), but I have to buy 11 sq. ft (box). If we only go with one border, 6 sq. ft. is sufficient. That leaves me with 5 sq ft wasted! These come in 12 x 12 and I was going to use a row of three around the tub.

Been trying to figure out how to use up all the glass tiles without making the tub surround look too busy. Any ideas? The bathroom is 7' x 7', with a regular sized tub/shower.

Here are some pics from the web site of what the tiles look like (nicer in the store)!

Will use 2 x 2 glass for border, and 12" porcelain for floor and tub surround.

{{gwi:1485287}}

Ash:

{{gwi:1485288}}

FYI: Bathroom will have a more contemporary look if that's helpful. Please share contemporary/modern pics if you have used two borders in a small bathroom.

Comments (15)

• charolais
    16 years ago

This is one of our showers. It's not exactly what you're looking for, but it does include two borders.

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Char. Ours is a tub/shower. Are those glass tiles?

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

This has uba tuba granite for the listello instead of glass, but you get the idea:

• charolais
    16 years ago

Mari..

My tiles are ridged ceramic, not glass.

Are you talking about a 6 in wide border (3 rows of 2in tile)? That sounds a bit wide to me? My tile is just over an inch wide and it seems like 2 rows of 6 in border might be too 'filling'.

How about doing a pattern of some sort? I always thought having an asymetric vertical and horizontal intersecting rows on each wall would look interesting.

• kesslerou
    16 years ago

We tiled this shower about 3 years ago. We used two rows of horizontal stripes and one vertical stripe. The horizontal stripe carried into the bathtub and the entire bath surround was the small tile.
    I realize you have a tub and not shower, this is a pattern and it worked well for us to think outside of the box.

Bathtub surround - i HATE those curtains!

• scottmel
    16 years ago

as a side note, I did the glass tiles as ONE accent row and I too had enough left over for a second row but opted against it. I felt for my taste it broke up the shower too much. I liked the sleeker tall look without the border distraction of two rows. One row was enough for me....Eventhough you had to waste, don't base a decision on that....you may like it though but my taste with the 12 x 12 porcelian tiles was to keep the one row (about 4 inches thick of a border with glass accents...). my shower however is 10 feet tall and I still felt 1 row was enough....

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    16 years ago

How strange. I posted a response to Bill and Kess last night and it's not here!!

Anyway, here I go again. Thanks for the pics. I'm still trying to come up with an innovative way to use most of my glass tiles. Kess, I think you did very well with those tiles and your border doesn't look busy or chopped up. Looks really great.

Bill, one tile guy (still interviewing) suggested I use the entire 12 x 12 sheet of glass tiles as a border in place of the regular tile, but I'm not too sure that would achieve the look I wanted.

Scott, where did you put your border? I've read that it should be at eye level, but some say at the top, or the bottom. My shower is a tub/shower combo.

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Mari-- that's the thing, though-- it's ALL about the look YOU want. Screw what the tile guy says, and for the most part, what WE say, too. What do YOU say? THAT'S what's important.

• scottmel
    16 years ago

I read somewhere that the border is best put between your chest area and eye area. I am about 5'8 and mine is about my nose level. But again my shower is TALL so I went up a little higher to break up the look but you could put it anywhere but I was trying to follow the rule of thumb I read somewhere....Scottmel

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Scottmel, I read that too so I'm looking into the chest/eye area though mine isn't as tall as what you describe. Seems to make some sense.

I know that looking to use most of the glass tiles isn't a great idea, but I hate wasting stuff :-(

Maybe the floor could do with a little decorating?lol

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

I read somewhere that the border is best put between your chest area and eye area.

That's only if you're using a single listello, though.

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh dear. It doesn't apply to a band of tiles?

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Um Mari,

a band of tiles = listello

:-)

• cindyandmocha
    16 years ago

Here are a few ideas some may have already mentioned...

- You could use some of them to do a "rug border" on the floor.

- Use a wider border around the room.

- Use some on a countertop for a border. I have a pic of my floating vanity below.

- Sell the leftovers on ebay at a discount.

- Maybe use some for the tub deck if you have one.

- Perhaps do a couple of shower niche's and use them as the background of the niche. I didn't use them in my shower niche, but I did use them in a niche in the bathroom. Pic below also.

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cindy, that looks awesome! Thanks.

Bill, ummm yeah, I forgot about listello, LMAO

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!