Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berdavids

mother of pearl tile

berdavids
13 years ago

I'm thinking of doing my master bath with mother of pearl tiles but I need some inspiration. I would love to see some pictures if anyone has used mother of pearl. Also, any idea how fragile it is? Is it difficult to keep clean?

Comments (11)

• bill_vincent
    13 years ago

Not really sure on any of your questions. I've never gotten past the price of it!! The REAL mother of pearl tile I've seen usually runs about 70-80.00 a foot, and I've seen it listed for as much as 470.00 a foot.

• plumkrazy
    13 years ago

I'm also thinking of using it in our bathroom... but it will be a MOP lookalike glass tile, bc we can't afford the real thing!

I ordered a sample of this and its quite realistic looking.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mother of Pearl tiles

• lorilook_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I'm thinking of adding it in my master bath, but have been hearing & reading conflicting reports of use near steam or water. For example: Collection: Mother of Pearl Tile
    Material: Seashell
    Color: Pearl
    Shape: Square
    Surface Finish: Glossy,easy for cleaning
    Size: 12"x12"(305mm x 305mm)
    Chip Size: 20mmx20mm
    Thickness: 8mm
    Detailed Description: Each sheet of this tile is approximately 1 sq ft per sheet and is mesh mounted on high quality fiber glass for easy installation of your mosaic tile projects.
    Application: Mother of Pearl mosaic tiles are impervious to the elements, thus it is great for both interior and exterior use so moisture is not an issue. Mother of Pearl mosaic tiles are great on floors and walls and have been most popular in bathrooms, spas, kitchen backsplash, wall facades and pools as well as a variety of other applications.
    Characteristics: The mother of pearl mosaic tile has a zero water absorption rate, and this tile exceeds ANSI standards for water absorption for mosaic tile. It is strong, durable, contamination free, and only the best quality tiles are selected as our tiles are inspected for blemishes before shipment.
    Manufacturer Brand Name: Home Elements
    Manufacturer: Home Elements,Inc.

From Suite 101 a decorating site: (excerpt)
    Design Suggestions for Mother of Pearl Tiles
    Mother of pearl tiles should not be used in a wet area, or in an area which gets a great deal of moisture or steam, as this can cause the glue to loosen between the shell and the backing, causing the shell to peel away. Therefore, these accent tiles should only be used in dry, wall applications.

Also a tile store did not recommend it for wet applications, but I've looked at many design photos where it was even used on the shower floor & seat in the shower.

Any input would be appreciated.

• flororree
    9 years ago

Can I put mother of pearl on my whole living room floor if so what kind

• PRO
    Bee Staged LLC
    4 years ago

Hi lorilook,

It has been a while but did you use the mother of pearl tile with the ceramic back in a wet area. or did anyone answer your question on conflicting information about using it in a wet area?

• M Mil
    3 years ago

I realize this is an old thread. Has anyone successfully used mother of pearl tile in wet area. Shower floor, bathroom floor. Wash closet wall.

• PRO
    Bee Staged LLC
    3 years ago

Hi

My tile people said not to use it on the shower floor. There were complaints of it separating from its backing. So, I used it higher in the shower and behind the sinks. Hope this helps. I haven't had any issues in 4 years.

• Jean
    3 years ago

We have it in our shower, on the back wall as an accent. Note - this wall basically does not get wet. No issues with it.

• dani_m08
    2 years ago

@Bee Staged LLC - bathroom looks gorgeous - where did you purchase your MOP tile? I would love to see photos of the entire bathroom. I’m trying to decide on tiles for my next bathroom renovation (once my master and hall bath are finally finished!)

@Jean - I would also love to see photos of your bathroom if you wouldn’t mind sharing some - thanks!

• Joanne Hulse
    2 years ago

Im also interested in Mother of pearl for my master bath. I would like to do all white with a seamless shower but I also need some inspiration pics. All white with a Curused white oak vanity. Im not sure what to use on the floor of the shower and the same for the rest of the bathroom since I don't want anything that would be slippery.