Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mother of pearl tile

Posted by berdavids (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 14, 10 at 0:41

I'm thinking of doing my master bath with mother of pearl tiles but I need some inspiration. I would love to see some pictures if anyone has used mother of pearl. Also, any idea how fragile it is? Is it difficult to keep clean?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mother of pearl tile

Not really sure on any of your questions. I've never gotten past the price of it!! The REAL mother of pearl tile I've seen usually runs about 70-80.00 a foot, and I've seen it listed for as much as 470.00 a foot.

o

I'm also thinking of using it in our bathroom... but it will be a MOP lookalike glass tile, bc we can't afford the real thing!

I ordered a sample of this and its quite realistic looking.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mother of Pearl tiles

o

mine is not MOP, but is the inner portion of the shell. it's much more subdued and it's amazingly gorgeous IRL. i'm sorry i don't have any pics yet -the panel in the shower is finished but that's about it. i think the tile guy is coming back to do our fireplace surround next week. we're having a ten foot expanse done in it too, as a backsplash to our vanity. and just because i can't get enough of this stuff (and i can't NOT use it since it was a tremendous ordeal to get it in the first place) i'm also installing two 3'x5' panels, one on each side of the door in the master bath with sconces mounted inside. ...and another set of panels/sconces in my vanity area.

i PROMISE to post pics as soon as it's done.

o

I'm thinking of adding it in my master bath, but have been hearing & reading conflicting reports of use near steam or water. For example: Collection: Mother of Pearl Tile
Material: Seashell
Color: Pearl
Shape: Square
Surface Finish: Glossy,easy for cleaning
Size: 12"x12"(305mm x 305mm)
Chip Size: 20mmx20mm
Thickness: 8mm
Detailed Description: Each sheet of this tile is approximately 1 sq ft per sheet and is mesh mounted on high quality fiber glass for easy installation of your mosaic tile projects.
Application: Mother of Pearl mosaic tiles are impervious to the elements, thus it is great for both interior and exterior use so moisture is not an issue. Mother of Pearl mosaic tiles are great on floors and walls and have been most popular in bathrooms, spas, kitchen backsplash, wall facades and pools as well as a variety of other applications.
Characteristics: The mother of pearl mosaic tile has a zero water absorption rate, and this tile exceeds ANSI standards for water absorption for mosaic tile. It is strong, durable, contamination free, and only the best quality tiles are selected as our tiles are inspected for blemishes before shipment.
Manufacturer Brand Name: Home Elements
Manufacturer: Home Elements,Inc.

From Suite 101 a decorating site: (excerpt)
Design Suggestions for Mother of Pearl Tiles
Mother of pearl tiles should not be used in a wet area, or in an area which gets a great deal of moisture or steam, as this can cause the glue to loosen between the shell and the backing, causing the shell to peel away. Therefore, these accent tiles should only be used in dry, wall applications.

Also a tile store did not recommend it for wet applications, but I've looked at many design photos where it was even used on the shower floor & seat in the shower.

Any input would be appreciated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here