vicnsb
15 years ago

Is 8ft x 8ft room enough for a walk in type shower

without a door?

Thanks!

Comments (23)

• yadax3
    15 years ago

Our walk-in is only 5' x 5' so your's sounds plenty big enough.

• yadax3
    15 years ago

It just occured to me you might be referring to the size of your entire bathroom, rather than just the shower area. If so, I think 8' x 8' would be a pretty tight squeeze for a doorless shower, sink, and toilet. I'm not sure I've ever seen it done.

• terezosa / terriks
    15 years ago

If that's the space you have for just the shower, then yes. Here is the floorplan of my doorless shower:

The blue represents the size of the standard shower in our old house. The total space taken up by the shower is about 7' x 5.5'

• vicnsb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That is the entire bathroom space...so does that mean
    I probably can't configure one in that space as far as you know?
    Thanks, just don't want to spin my wheels if its not really possible.
    vic

• ladycfp
    15 years ago

My MB is 10x13 with a toilet niche. I have a 4x5 (roughly) walk in shower without a door and a clawfoot tub and plenty of space. Don't know if that helps you at all. I did sacrifice and install a single sink vanity but it has a nice amount of counter space and it works for us.

• vicnsb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all for responding.

ladycfp...could you show how your 4x5 shower is configured without a door
    so that the water is kept in please? Can you post a pic? That would be so
    helpful...thanks so much
    vic

• oruboris
    15 years ago

I think the question is, is this the best use of your square footage?

I really wanted a doorless, too. I spent most of a day at the new house marking off various options with tape on the floor. I realized that I could have a big shower and comfortable bathroom, or small shower and somewhat cramped bath due to the 'water lock' [the zone that keeps the water in the shower]. Wouldn't have been as bad, but I also wanted a permanent shower bench, and it was ultimately either/or.

BUT I was constricted by having a window and the toilet drain already in place. If you have a blank space [or are willing to do what it takes to get one], the equation changes.

• vicnsb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oruboris...thanks for the feedback...I needed to know
    if the option took a lot of extra space and I guess it does.
    Thanks!
    vic

• vicnsb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

terriks...thanks so much for the photo. That looks really
    interesting, I wish I could see the full height. It doesn't look
    very deep, do you need to have a special showerhead style so
    that the water doesn't shoot out of the entry? This looks like
    something I can work on drawing out. The entry looks
    to me like its only about 24 inches, what do you think?
    vic

• terezosa / terriks
    15 years ago

Those are pictures that I lifted from the John Bridge Tile Forum a few years ago, so I don't know the details of the design.

• ladycfp
    15 years ago

Here is my doorless shower. There are five panes of glass, a long one on the far wall (set into the tile wall) then three in the middle and the opening is on the far right where the mat is. There is another small pane also set into the wall tile on the right that serves as a splash guard so the door that is outside of camera range doesn't get wet. Let me know if you want more info. It is a fabulous design and setup (many collaborated on it to produce this final product) and take it from me, INSPECT YOUR GLASS prior to installation. I didn't, the glass guy didn't, it had to be replaced, that created a leak, now the curb has to be rebuilt and the glass replaced again. Live and learn.

• yadax3
    15 years ago

Here's ours. It started out as an alcove tub/shower just like the blue one in the previous photo. We just removed the tub, built a wall further out to give us more space, and reconfigured the plumbing a bit.

{{gwi:1485211}}

• vicnsb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lady...thanks for the photo, you have a great shower! Looks like a lot more
    space than I have to work with.

yadax...thanks for the photo, it looks really nice...I sure wish I could see more if possible.
    What are your dimensions?

vic

• ladycfp
    15 years ago

Yes I do have more space- I said that in my original post- but you can possibly get creative with design and still make it work. Good luck!

• yadax3
    15 years ago

Hi again vic,

Here's a link to more photos of my bathroom. The size is 5' x 5' which is the same length as the original alcove tub but a couple of feet wider. We added the extra space both for comfort and to keep the shower head some distance away from the doorless opening. We also used Kerdi in the shower and Ditra on the floors to achieve a certain amount of waterproofing, although very little actually gets on the floor.

After these photos were taken we changed out the shower head to a Grohe Freehander, which is great for small showers.

Laura

Here is a link that might be useful: Bathroom

• mmme
    15 years ago

I don't have a photo, but I used to have a 3x5 shower with no door, and it worked just great.

The doorway and the showerhead were on the same (long) wall, with the showerhead pointing toward the opposite long wall.
    Entering the shower, you would step through the narrow (2.5'?) doorway then take a right turn into the shower area. I wish I could explain it better, because it would totally work in your situation.

• vicnsb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yadax...thanks so much for all the photos! Its so helpful to see it.
    Your bathroom came out really nice.

mmme...thanks for you feedback, sounds like your showerhead was on the 5ft. wall pointing at the opposite 5ft. wall, so does that mean facing your showerhead you had a 3 ft. space front to back? I think I made it more confusing.

I am planning it 7 ft. long x 3 ft. wide with the showerhead on the
    3 side pointing the long way with the side entry at the very end.
    I think that will be fine for a doorless entry...am I wrong?

• jrtgal
    15 years ago

I also removed a tub and put in a doorless (and stepless) shower. Still a WIP but so far I am loving it. The shower area is 3x5. Here is a photo (excuse the dishwashing liquid and stool used as a dish dryer, this is currently my only functioning sink!)

• vicnsb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jrtgal...wow that looks great, looks like an overhead shower so that must
    keep the water from spray out of the shower right? Its nice not to have the
    curb too.
    Mine is started, it will have a curb, a 4 ft. pony wall with a glass
    panel on top.
    Thanks, vic

• jrtgal
    15 years ago

Hey vic,
    Thanks! Yep the rainhead and the sloped floor (all sides gently sloped towards the drain) keeps the water inside. For my exit drips, the chinese wood mat is great. I bet you will be happy with yours. Don't forget to have a niche or two for shampoo and soap! Good luck!

• gpingry
    13 years ago

Has anyone used linear drains? What a great concept! Thinking of putting one in my new doorless shower.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

What did you ever decide to do? I am thinking about this same thing for my master bath. I'd love to see any updated pictures/layouts of your space.