Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phiwwy

1st major bit of progress - bath #1 but have question re: vanity

phiwwy
11 years ago

At long last, one of our baths has a tiled floor, tiled knee wall and vanity installed. Templating has taken place. No pix at moment but will describe the situation:

vanity is to go from left wall to knee wall on right - end to end, or to fill the space between the walls. Vanity spec is 54" - sink base 30", to the left a drawer base 21", left filler 2", right filler 1". Coming from kitchen cabinet company. KD measured rough opening and included the space for the drywall/board. Now vanity is in and there's an extra 3" gap on the left. What to do?

The issue I have is, after the counter is in, there will be a tower on the left side, so this gap will be not only to the left of the drawer base, but also to the left of the tower. I would never put the tower all the way to the corner, rather it should most definitely line up vertically with the drawer base.

Should i have him detach the drawer base and put the filler in the middle and have the drawer base and tower against the left wall?

I can't attach a pix right now, if this is not clear I will take one in daylight tomorrow and post. Thanks in advance.

Comments (6)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Check your measurements and contact your KD.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Sounds like they sent the wrong base cabinet--like an 18" instead of 21". Or, you had more than 54" to start with. Double check your measurements, and post some pictures.

• MongoCT
    11 years ago

Pretty much what the others have written. Find out where the mistake came from;

1) Did the KD measure incorrectly
    2) Did the KD spec out the order incorrectly
    3) Did the cabinet company ship out the wrong size vanity

You can order parts that properly fit. An alternative is to shift everything to the left, and to nix some or all of the filler strips to get a 3" wide or 6" wide gap, and add a thin 3" wide or 6" wide cabinet with a pull out shelf. Sort of like a kitchen pantry spice rack. The 6" wide could be for cleaning supply storage, the 3" wide as a medicine cabinet.

If you do go with the narrow insert route, Bath cabinets are not always the same dimensions at kitchen cabs. So confirm compatibility.

But get to the root of the problem. Your KD measured, your KD placed the order. Make your first call to the KD.

Good luck!

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So KD did measure, I signed off of the 54" vanity including fillers in middle and both sides, but it ended up that the space was 57". Not sure how it grew but he must have mismeasured. They won't remake the drawer base but will split up the space evenly - some on the left and some between the sink base and drawer base, and will also make a decorative overlay filler.

I will check into the rev a shelf insert - that's a terrific idea, would love to use the space somehow.

I have an entire kitchen to come from the same place so I don't want to make a stink. this vanity is for a kid's bathroom, and frankly, I need the kitchen to go as smoothly as possible.

• MongoCT
    11 years ago

Don't think of it as being a matter of you making a stink.

It's a matter of letting others know that YOU are paying THEM to not make mistakes. That if they would like to work FOR YOU in the future, they had better pay a bit more attention.

You have them find out how the mistake occurred. You ask them how they can prevent it from happening in the future.

Don't forget, you're not dating this person. It's business.

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions - we've decided to move the space and add a rev a shelf 3" pullout where the filler would be. they're adding a matching decorative front. Will be great for shampoos, nail polish or whatever.

Not sure who's paying for the unit but it was $75, not a big deal at all.

Thanks again!

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz