Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nickl2001_gw

White Spots in Honed Cararra Marble

Nickl2001
10 years ago

Hello,

Just started installing honed italian cararra tiles and noticed these markings all over the tile. Could someone please advise what they are? Thank you

Will post close-up pix next

Comments (14)

• Nickl2001
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a close-up pix

• lascatx
    10 years ago

If they are all over the tile in a random pattern, they are probably just naturally occurring variations in the mineral deposits -- especially near the vein in that close up. You can have little white spots -- like a fingernail bruise, that are similar marks -- a 'bruise" or stress mark caused by something hitting it. Your spots appear to be larger and more irregular shaped than I would expect those to be, and they wouldn't be scattered throughout your tiles. I would consider it part of the veining pattern -- you just have to decide whether it's something you are okay with.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

They look like compression stars where something impacted the stone. I would have to say that the batch was mishandled and is defective. Also, you seem to have installed the tile without spacers, which is incorrect. Tiles have to have room for grout. It's what locks the installation together and gives it strength. There's not enough room for grout there, but there is plenty of room for dirt to get in between those tiles!

• Nickl2001
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi and thank you for your comments- spoke with my tile supplier and they have agreed to exchange for a new batch which is fantastic news. Thankfully we were just at the beginning of install and stopped when it was evident all the tiles were impacted. In terms of install- I was told that they would grout them to wall, then apply layer of grout over the top to fill in gaps between tile, wipe tile clean, then seal- no?

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

To do that, you have to install them with space in between the tiles. That's required. They sell tile spacers everywhere, even small ones for small grout lines.. Make sure your installers are using them. And if this is in a shower area, be sure that the wall is properly waterproofed behind them.

• threeapples
    10 years ago

I have these white marks all over my kitchen counters. I had a marble company come out and they said they were impact marks and that all will be fine. I'm careful not to place heavy things down hard so more don't occur.

• lascatx
    10 years ago

They do look like impact marks, at least the smaller spots, but the spattering around that backwards J-shaped vein? I'm puzzled by how you could get that as well as that many impact marks in every piece. Either way -- it's either damaged or minimal quality. It certainly wouldn't be graded highly with all those marks. I was wondering if you chose them because they were inexpensive but didn't want to offend. I'm glad they are replacing it.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Nickl2001, you said they are grouting them to the wall. Tiles are attached to the wall with "thinset". Where are these tiles going, because Live Wire Oak, is asking about proper water proofing behind the tiles. There will need to be some sort of proper barrier on the wall for a shower. I am doing my shower and will be applying a roll on membrane called Hydroban.

Good news about the replacement. I think they are probably poor quality marble tiles, but thats just a guess, as I am not very knowledgeable about tiles. I have heard that some low quality marble can be rather crumbly. I would think marble that is easily "bruised" as yours, could be softer and crumbly.

• Nickl2001
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi all, thanks for the continued commentary. "New" new tile will arrive tomorrow so hoping for quality stone- I'll post a picture. I have confidence all will be good. I think the supplier got an earful for sending this out as this is a reputable distributor and the price paid was reasonable- not inexpensive. This is for a shower and installation has been application of black paper over framing, waterproof cement board- closing of seams in between boards, and then adhering tile to the board- In removing the old "new tile" - everything was removed back to the black paper and then new waterproofing board was installed as tile debris and adhesive were fused to the board. For next round of install we will look at 1/8" spacers. thx

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Others will chime in of that I am certian but I would not let him start tiling yet as that does not sound like proper waterproofing to me at all (I am not a tile guy), unless I am missing something or you left out some details about the "black paper over framing".

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Others will chime in of that I am certian but I would not let him start tiling yet as that does not sound like proper waterproofing to me at all (I am not a tile guy), unless I am missing something or you left out some details about the "black paper over framing".

• enduring
    10 years ago

I believe tar paper is an acceptable moisture barrier, placed on the studs. It has to be lapped horizontally and the fasteners from the first run covered by the next run. The bottom of the paper needs to be laying in the tub/shower pan, over the tile flange. You use either the tar paper or poly on the studs OR a topical membrane rolled or applied on top of the wall boards. I think it would be easier to use a roll on topical moisture barrier myself as a DIY'er.

If this is a steam shower, I believe a "vapor barrier" is in order and I don't know of any vapor barriers other than Kerdie and RedGard, and these are both topical. I am not familiar with steam shower installations.

• zmat
    2 years ago

We have these marks all over our tile backsplash because my husband used a mullet to set marble! Every spot he smashed to make sure the tile sticks! So if installers used the same method as my DH, this will happen to your precious marble. I cringe every time I see them and my husband calls is patina. Sigh.

• PRO
    Mint tile Minneapolis
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

10 yrs on when there still stuck he will remind you of his thoroughness and dedication to you.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH