Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vanity tile: under vs abut drop-in sink?

Posted by mtnfever (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 3, 12 at 23:22

I'm thinking of installing a Kohler Serif sink with tile on the vanity top. Here's my dumb question: should the tile go underneath the sink edge or abut/meet the sink?

Here's what the sink looks like
Photobucket
The pic has a solid surface vanity top, so it's no help.

Seems much easier to install the sink into the vanity top, install the top, then tile the top with the tile meeting the sink and *not* going underneath the sink edge. But the easy way is sure as heck not always the right way!

thanks in advance for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vanity tile: under vs abut drop-in sink?

I think it would be easier to tile & than put the sink on top. Then caulk around the sink and tile. The tile would look better IMHO but I've never done this sort of thing before.

o

Enduring, thanks for replying. I do think you're right that it would be easier to make the tile edge look better since it would be under the sink. Hm, I guess I'd better check the sink specs for how thick the countertop can be.

thanks again!

o

It can go either way, but going under will look much cleaner. As for the specs, it shouldn't matter. The only thing that should matter is the size of the hole cut to accomondate the sink.

o

Bill_V, thanks for replying. It does sound very attractive to tile without having to mess with (or mess up!) the sink. I looked again at the cutout and yeah, it's a nonissue.

thanks again!

o

Most definitely tile the top, then insert the sink. I'll be cleaner visually, and cleaner in terms of being "cleaner". Less dirt.

o

mongoct, thanks for replying. It's a clear consensus! Tile first, *then* sink on top of tile (with caulk).

thank you all for your help!

cheers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here