Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
domerjen_gw

plumbing for double shower in master

DomerJen
9 years ago

We are creating a master bath from a small bedroom in our 1926 four square. The bath area is getting a double sink (plumbed for 2 sinks) and a double shower (plumbed for 2 separate showers on 2 separate controls). We had the plumbers put in 3/4" plumbing all the way to the water main to make sure we'd have enough water going up to run them both at the same time.

I'm not sure if we should get a thermostatic valve for the showers, since there are 2 of them, or a pressure balanced valve, since we have 3/4" pipes and only want one head for each shower? We just want one basic single shower head for one of the showers, and a single handheld for the other. No body sprays or multiple heads.

I'm at a loss as to what to spend/choose for such a project. We'd like a chrome fixture of good quality, in a traditional or transitional style. Preferably we could get both fixtures for under $750-1000. If it can be done for well under that, all the better.

The existing bath is on a separate "line" off of the main water pipe in the basement. This one might be on the same branch as the dishwasher/sink/fridge in the kitchen, but I have a feeling they are all on separate "branches" off that main line.

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Our controls for a single shower, rain pan and wall head included, were over $2,000.00. Get ready for some sticker shock.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Yes to what Trebruchet said, lots of sticker shock on plumbing. Maybe itâÂÂs just the people I know but those that did the double shower almost never used it as a double shower. It seemed pretty cool in the beginning but most prefer to shower and wash their privates in semi or private privacy.

• DomerJen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, it'll cost what it costs. Sticker shock is no surprise here, believe me.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a single hand shower fixture w/ the valve and control, and also a single stationery head w/ the valve and control?

I'm also still curious if I should lean towards thermostatic or pressure balanced.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Thermostatic all the way.

• Mr_Garden
    9 years ago

Hey, Think my first post got eaten, so I'll be shorter;

Pressure Balance will take away some flowrate to function (GPM) but I feel that with a single head, it'll be unnoticable.

For a single system thermostatic though, I could suggest the Brizo valve linked below. Their Baliza style was my choice for a transitional looking bathroom.

The sensori would be overkill for your needs (single head) but even the medium flow can have a diverter of you wanted more heads, or another handheld.

site has them retailing for $398.75 US, plus the showerhead you want. I'm not sure if a pair of these would use up the budget; one plus a diverter or two flow control valves would certainly fit.

I only suggest the brand as it's what I chose, and I quite liked the weight.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brizo Medium-flow valve

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I our previous home, we had your setup - one single head thermostatic shower (1/2"), and one single head hand-held thermostatic plus 3 body sprays (almost never used, what a waste that was!) (3/4"). We had plenty of pressure for all of that. (FWIW, we used the two showerheads most days)

Now we live in a different place and have a pressure balance valve, and its fine too, but its just a single fixed shower head.

Although I did appreciate the ability to set the correct temperature and never think about it again (especially in the kids' shower), I find that I know exactly how far to turn the handle in my current shower to get the temperature I like, so I don't really think there's much difference.

What I do wish I had now is the kind where you set the temperature and the pressure separately, so you can have it on full blast hot or cold, and on lower-blast hot or cold. With my current single-handle setup, you get to pick the temperature by moving the handle, but the pressure is always the same.

• MongoCT
    9 years ago

In my master shower I have two PB valves from the inexpensive yet fully bulletproof Symmons Temptrol line. The Temptrol line won't win any awards for being stylish, but we're more of a substance over style family. It looks good and it works. The valve with trim kit are about $100 each.

One feeds a Grohe Relaxa Top4 handheld on a long vertical bar with an 8' hose. It's large shower, the long hose reaches all corners. The same setup can be had today for about $250.

The other feeds a ceiling mounted 12" rain head from AquaBrass, about $175. But you'd be replacing that expense with a simple fixed showerhead.

The Temptrol valves work fine individually or when run simultaneously. No issues with temperature variations, flow restrictions, etc.

Good luck!

• lee676
    9 years ago

Get thermostatic, that's all I can say. My only experience is with 2-outlet valves (shower and tub spout, or fixed and handheld showerhead), so not familiar with simpler valves with one output. I used California Faucets and Hansgrohe - both are good, though I like the embossed dial on the CF that actually tells you what temperature it's set at, as well as a escutcheon plate made of metal rather than chrome-plated plastic as on the Hansgrohe.