Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zeitgast

Painting cast iron sink?

Sms
10 years ago

Hi

We are putting in a trough sink in the kids bathroom at our beach shack. We chose the cast iron Kohler Brockway which comes with a black underside.

I've seen lots of great painted ones on the web (see link below) and was wondering if anyone has any experience painting cast iron sinks or tubs. I've heard that oil-based paints work well and also heard that powder coating works. Any tips/advice would be much appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (30)

• enduring
    10 years ago

Very cute sink. Call Kohler. They have always been helpful when I've had questions about their products. Otherwise I have no experience with painting cast iron. Years ago I lived in a house that had the outside of the claw foot tub painted.

• Sms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good idea thx

• Sms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good idea enduring. I just notice they have some pictures of painted Brockways on their website. Thx

• enduring
    10 years ago

You are very welcome :) I bet there is some paint that is specially useful for these conditions. I would think that the paint would have to tolerate quick temp changes. Epoxy paint???

• Nancy in Mich
    10 years ago

zeitgast, please post the answers you find, as well as your results. My bathroom with a Brockway is a year or more in the future, but I am deep into planning already. I can't wait to see yours!

• vdboschbe
    6 years ago

Did anyone actually painted theirs and can tell us what paint to use? I absolutely love the Brockway and if the funds permit, will buy one for the kids bathroom but want it in a vibrant colour.

• Nancy in Mich
    6 years ago

Nope, I had to change my plans and can't fit in the Brockway (and I still have not done the renovation).

• enduring
    6 years ago

I still love ya Nancy!

• ttogml1973
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I know this post has been up for a while but I was searching for options for this same exact question- so I tried reaching out to Kohler and they had no suggestions at all...surprisingly. I guess they dont want to suggest a product and then have a customer complain it didnt work. So, that said, I have found the two most common suggestions are oil-based enamel paint or epoxy paint. I think Im going to give the oil-based enamel a try. I will post the results once it's complete- fingers crossed- it's for the preschool room in our school!

• Nancy in Mich
    6 years ago

Ttogml1973,

I hope the enameling went well. It occurred to me that this could be a use for a product called Plasti-Dip. It is a coating that seems pretty tough (they are spray-painting it on cars now, as well as just their wheels) and it comes in lots of colors. Best of all, it peels off because it is a rubbery coating, and it does not harm the finish underneath. So you can change the color of things fairly easily. If the enamel does not come out well, it may be another thing to try. Dip Your Car

• strategery
    6 years ago

Temperature change for a sink, LOL. Painting metal is a piece of cake. A matte powder coat would be way cool and durable.

• nataliapaul
    3 years ago

@Ttogml1973 We are in the early stages of research to paint our Brockway sink. Did you end up doing the oil based enamel paint? Was it successful? I would love to see your pics if you have any! Thank you!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

No paint/epoxy on sinks please. At least none that get any use:

• Nancy in Mich
    3 years ago

With luck, Joe, they are talking of painting the outer belly of their Brockway wall-hung sinks.

Kids' bath brockway sink · More Info

• nataliapaul
    3 years ago

Correct, I am wondering about the exterior painting of the Brockway sink. Thank you!! :)

• nataliapaul
    3 years ago

Thank you ptreckel! Good info!

• Samantha A
    3 years ago

Designer here, I used oil based rustoleum high gloss black on this very sink.

• Jessica Crombe Messenger
    last year

I am looking at painting a cast iron sink (inside and out). what paint should I use.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

Jessica:

Painting or epoxying the interior of any sink is a complete waste of time and and money and can make the restoration of an acrylic sink non-cost effective.

• Jessica Crombe Messenger
    last year

So what is yhe best option? it is a very unsual 1930 sryle ai k and want to keep

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

Have a plumber remove the drain flange(s), then have one of the epoxy spray on professionals give it a shot. It was all I could do to get that stuff off a Corian top even using a 40 grit (pizza) abrasive on a belt sander. Don't hit the sink with any extreme temperature changes after please.

• ptreckel
    last year

Jessica, please post a photo of your sink! I would love to see it!!!

• simssj5
    last year

I bought the 60" Brockway. I'm going to try to prime and paint it myself using oil-based paint. If that doesn't work, I'm going to call in one of the tub re-glazing professionals and have them glaze the outside of the sink. It's cheap and waaay cheaper than powder coating, which would require me to uninstall and transport the sink, which weighs 260 pounds.

• simssj5
    last year

FYI, you can buy the Brockway already painted for an additional fee through various sites.

• simssj5
    last year

Unrelated: Why don't I see supply lines in many of the posted pictures??

• Nancy in Mich
    last year
    last modified: last year

No supply lines are shown because they can start to look messy! Console sinks, wall hung sinks, and pedestal sinks are never shown with them. Remember that it is easier to take a photo of a sink with just an attached drain. Once you try to add supply lines, you have to have a way to connect them to the wall or floor, a lot more work than snaping photos in a studio with a sink and drain tube alone.

Another issue with supply lines is that they can come from either the floor or the wall. A photo of either could have some newby customers with the other setup bypassing the item, saying, ”my supply lines come from a different place, this won’t work for me.”

Supply lines add a cluttery look to exposed plumbing. You may lose some potential customers for your product if you include them and customers see what it will really look like.

• enduring
    last year

Hi Nancy!!! You have very good points in this post.

• Nancy in Mich
    last year

Hi Enduring! Thanks, and Happy New Year!

• enduring
    last year

Nancy, hoping for a good year for you too!

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz