Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Kerdi-Board Overkill for Tub Surround

Posted by Rareindigo (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 28, 12 at 22:58

Thought I had settled on poly under Wonderboard for my tub surround which will be tiled from tub to ceiling. Guy at the tile store said I'd be happier with Kerdi-board because its better at waterproofing and easier to work with. True? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Kerdi-Board Overkill for Tub Surround

I am no expert and there are several that can comment. But, what about cement board on studs, then a topical like hydroban, then tile? Skipping the poly because you don't want a waterproof membrane on both sides of the board.

o

Agree with enduring.

"Easiest and better performing" would probably be HydroBan over cement board. More expensive, and maybe slightly more difficult due to never having worked with it before, would be the Kerdi Board. KB is fine...but for a one-off project, the things you'd have to buy...sheets of board, Kerdi Band, etc...it might not be economically efficient.

Most economical would indeed be the poly behind cement board. But topical membranes like Hydroban and Kerdi do have a performance advantage over a membrane located behind the tile backer board, especially when it comes to detailing the poly to tub flange.

I think Kerdi Board is an advantage for demanding designs. Most tub surrounds are fairly straight forward.

o

As a DIYer, my favorite (balancing economy, ease of application and promise of success) is standard kerdi over drywall.

o

Mongo, will you tell me how to seal the bottom of the board with a hydroban application? Kerdi is making more sense to me, with kerdi fix, then tile/caulk (in a drawing you did on the remodeling forum...) But, we will already have the hydroban for a shower install. So, how do you "meet" the hydrobanned cement board with the tub flange? (and then, I assume you still do the tile/caulk like you do with kerdi membrane)

o

"Mongo, will you tell me how to seal the bottom of the board with a hydroban application? How do you "meet" the hydrobanned cement board with the tub flange? "

Let's say that you installed the cement board right on the studs and held it just above the tub flange.

Mix up a bit of stiff thinset and fill the gap. Make it flush with the face of the cement board.

Then when you Hydroban, just Hydroban the face of the cement board, and down and over the thinset-filled gap. That should give you a continuous coverage of thinset all the way to the tub deck, if that makes sense.

Then when you tile, hold the tile a grout width's gap off of the tub deck. Caulk that gap.

Sort of like this:

o

Excellent! THANK YOU!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here