Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aiallega

Trying to coordinate tile in very small bathroom

aiallega
9 years ago

I never knew it would be so difficult to choose tile for a bathroom! We are converting the bathtub area to a shower. Two elements that I really want is 1) white subway tile for the shower walls and chair rail height around the room. 2) subway tile in carerra marble laid in a herringbone pattern for the main floor. I DO NOT want marble for the shower floor. My tile person strongly advised me not to use marble in the shower (he has laid tile for 40 years so I consider him an expert). The bathroom is as very very small. The shower will only be 30"X60." Can anyone suggest a tile for the shower floor that is either ceramic or porcelain that will transition well with white ceramic and the marble? I have already chosen a polished carerra marble vanity top. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (9)

• jrueter
    9 years ago

White mosaic tile in either squares, hexagons or small 1x2 bricks would look nice. I would look to see if your subway tile has a matching mosaic - that would be the safest.

Not that you asked - but with the marble on the floor and vanity, you might want to consider a pale grey grout for your white subways. Just a thought!

• aiallega
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks jrueter, I've been thinking that those kind of tiles would work, too. I guess I need someone to say it would be fine to have 3 different tiles in one small area--lol I agree the grey grout would be best. Thank you

• badgergal
    9 years ago

My son is changing from a tub to a shower in his upcoming remodel. He is going to use Kohler's Salient cast iron shower base instead of a tiled shower floor. It comes in a 30x60 size. The bases are available with right, left or center drains. My son's tiler says they are a great alternative to a tile shower floor. It would solve the problem of too many kinds of tile in a small bathroom.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I second the solid shower receptor or base since you are using such a standard size.

• aiallega
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My only problem with a shower base is the non-skid strips in them. So many people have complained about never being able to get them clean in their bath tubs. I wonder if that would be the case with this particular base?

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

We have carrara floors (regular square 12 x 12), white vanity top (Ceasarstone Organic White), glossy white on the shower walls (Porcelanosa) and used a striped grey/black on the shower floor. We are currently using a white shower curtain. We love it. The room is approximately 6 x 10. At least one person on GW thought it was "too busy", but we think it's pretty calming actually (we both hate "busy").

• aiallega
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sjhockeyfan: What you have is exactly my situation. What is the striped tile? Very nice looking. Thanks!

• rightdi_gw
    9 years ago

i would go with a solid white in a hexagon shape. The picture I attached shows the subway tile with a hexagon floor Good luck!

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Luvs, I shouldn't have shown it to you :-) - because it's discontinued ( we got a great price as a result). But let me see if I can figure out what it is.