Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_g_web

Glass door for 30' x 60' shower

bill_g_web
13 years ago

Anyone have a sliding shower door? I'm looking for options for a one-sided 30" x 60" shower. (3 sides are walls.) A hinged door in the middle with fixed glass on either side is the other configuration I'm considering.

Any experience with glassing in a 60" shower access?

{{gwi:1484122}}

Thanks,

Bill

Comments (5)

• pam29011
    13 years ago

That's the size of a standard tub replacement, yes? Costco has some reasonably priced glass shower doors that would fit, they are all the sliding kind (last time I checked).

My experience with these has been:
    1 - Get one without tracks at the bottom. A single track with a little 2" wide block dead center is a lot easier to clean than something with 2 long skinny tracks.
    2 - Clear glass is the easiest option to choose (no pattern to clash with tile or go out of style). It is also unforgiving with water spots. Buy a squegee and keep it in your shower.
    3 - The shiny (chrome) trim seems to visually disappear more than brushed nickel or the other finishes. So if you have a narrow bathroom and want it to feel larger, consider going for the chrome finish. A large bathroom can handle the darker or duller finishes better.

HTH,
    -Pam

• sue_b
    13 years ago

I shopped online for my sliding door for a shower/tub that is 30 x 52 (or so) on this site that shows Basco shower doors. I then found that Lowes sells them (they order it for you, no charge) & you can get a 15% off Lowes website coupon for anything in the store...it's for moving but you are moving things around, right? At this link on TheShowerDoorStore look in the online store for Swing Doors with Inline Panels. They look great!
    The quality of my Basco door is excellent. My sister has a Kohler Sterling sliding shower door and it is very wobbly and not as high quality.

Here is a link that might be useful: site with images of lots of shower doors

• suero
    13 years ago

I have a 62" shower opening. There are two 13" fixed panels on each side (1/2" thick glass) and a 34" door hinged to one of the fixed panels. The door is 3/8" thick glass. The fixed panels are mounted into studs.

• bill_g_web
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Interesting about the chrome finish and nixing the bottom track.

Suero - where/what are your shower controls and head? Do you have any trouble reaching the knobs? Is your configuration, whatever it is, working out for you?

Bill

• suero
    13 years ago

Shower controls are on the two walls perpendicular to the door. They are 12" in from the door. The volume control is above the thermostatic control. Each shower head has its own thermostatic and volume control. The fixed shower head is on the center of one wall and the handheld slider is on the center of the opposite wall. The shower is 42" deep. The outlet for the fixed showerhead is 75" above the floor, which makes the bottom of that showerhead 72" above the floor. The top of the slider bar for the handheld is 72" above the floor, so that the handheld can actually get as high as 75" above the floor. The glass is 74" high.

I positioned the controls so that they are within an easy reach to turn the showers on from outside the shower.

The shower is working out perfectly.