Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spiral Shower

Posted by strawboss (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 9, 12 at 22:19

I want to build a free standing spiral shower stall and thought I'd run my plan past you guys and see if anyone has helpful hints. I plan on making the armature from rebar covered with concrete reinforcing mesh covered with metal lath. For the interior of the spiral I am planning on using Quickwall to insure that it is waterproof. The floor pan would be done this way, too. For the exterior surface I was thinking of using Structolite. Ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spiral Shower

Forgot to mention I'm also considering doing the waterproofing of the floor with Redgard. Seems like the best option for something circular.

o

The "Floor Pan" deal worries me. You DO know that it needs to be sloped to the drain, eh? It needs a mud bed to do so and you'll need a Schluter or Laticrete-type, fleece-bonded drain if you're applying Redgard to the mud floor. A regular drain has weep holes and won't work. With enough coats, Redgard can work....but I would simply Kerdi or Hydroban the shower. Superior products, in my opinion.

o

How about using a kit like this Wedi Fundo shower kit? It looks like it might be exactly what you want.

o

terriks, the Wedi Fundo shower kit is cool and was actually where I got my dimensions from originally. Kit not my style or price range though, I am going to build my own.
StoneTech - thanks for the info about HydroBan. Seems like the way to go for me. Yes, I know the pan has to be sloped to the drain and am going to go with a linear drain. I'm going to go with exposed copper pipes rather than trying to embed them in the spiral structure. Anything tricky about that I should consider? I appreciate the help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here