Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monicae_gw

Bathroom done - photos

monicae
14 years ago

I didn't do much posting but did take in a lot of the advice from the various threads (this is a great resource. This is a relatively small master bath and the toilet is in a tiny alcove so you'll just have to trust me that there is a toilet in the room. :-) Please excuse the before photos, I think I was so sick of the room I gave up on tidying it up.

Comments (54)

• blondelle
    14 years ago

Gorgeous bath! Love the floor tiles. What are they? I cant quite make out the tile on your shower walls. Is it carrara 3 x 6 subway?

• ktink
    14 years ago

Beautiful! I'd love to know what your floor tiles are, too.

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

It's awesome! Details, details!

• youngdeb
    14 years ago

Really great!

• marisany
    14 years ago

Wow! Complete elegance. Add me to the list of people who are taking notes on the floor tile.

And the orchid is perfect.

• blondelle
    14 years ago

Thanks Monicae for the details. I went to look but the Fibra Gray in the photo is a cool light to medium gray while the floor in your photos look to be a very warm taupey gray. Is your photo accurate or are the Pocelanosa photos more accurate and it is a lighter cool gray. Thanks so much!

• sweeby
    14 years ago

Lovely! Very soothing and elegant!

• monicae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Blondelle - The photo is fairly accurate but I'd definitely say the floor is light gray, not taupe at all. It could be because the walls are a taupe-y gray that is it coming across like that? The photos on that site of the floor are accurate I would say. I love the tile but if you are looking for something a bit more camel or brown I know I saw that at the showroom as well (those tiles are Atlas Concorde, the wall tiles are Porcelanosa). Here's a link to Atlas Concorde's page for their Fibra line, you can see all of the colors here: http://www.atlasconcorde.it/intro_serie.php?idstile=1&idseriec=9

• blondelle
    14 years ago

Colors are so hard to see online. Just looked again and it's a medium blue gray on the site. Yours looks more like the Lead color. Oh well! Love the color in your photo but the color is totally different on the tile as they show it ;-(.

Thanks for trying to help!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Wow, very nice job! I especially like the sconces--so much light and so elegant.

• suzie741
    14 years ago

Beautiful bathroom. I was onsidering doing just a shower like yours, but I only have one full bath and didn't know if I'd miss the tub or not. Do you have another bathroom with a tub? I really love the floor too. very spa looking. Enjoy

• penelopejosephine
    14 years ago

Your bathroom is lovely! I love your colors...it looks so soothing :) Do you mind telling me how wide your vanity is? We're planning a new master and we only have 60" for a double sink vanity. I'm trying to discern if yours is similar. Thanks so much!

• tzmaryg
    14 years ago

Your sconces mounted in the mirror look terrific. I have similar location issue. How difficult did it turn out to be to mount them that way? Thanks

• wascolette
    14 years ago

What a huge difference! Simply stunning.

• monicae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Ladies!

Suzie, I do have a tub in the guest bathroom down the hall. When we bought the house I was concerned that the tub wasn't in the master but figured since one was down the hall it was OK but if there had been no tub we wouldn't have purchased this house.

Penelope - You will be happy to know that that is a 60" vanity! I had to do a lot of work to find smaller sinks so the scale worked (most sinks, at least vessel sinks, are 17" and those looked monstrous on that vanity).

Mary - Mounting the sconces was probably one of the easiest parts of the bathroom - no different than mounting them on a wall (but make sure you have some long screws!).

• erinct
    14 years ago

Your new bathroom is stunning! We're getting ready to remodel our guest bathroom and your sconces would be perfect for the space - could you please share the details? Also, it looks like your old vanity went to the floor (like ours currently does) but your new one is raised up (like we're hoping ours will be). Did you have any plumbing issues? Our water lines currently come up through the floor and we're not sure how easy/hard it is to have the lines moved. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!

• Andrew
    14 years ago

Can you post or email me some more pictures of your shower floor? I am considering using this for a whole bathroom.

• mousemen
    14 years ago

What a beautiful and contemporary bathroom!!!

Is the vanity customized? May I know where you got the vanity cabinets? I wish I could get the same one! Is the countertop marble?

• monicae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Erin - The sconces are from Candice Olson's line - here's a link to them: http://www.lightinguniverse.com/Wall-Sconces/Candice-Olson--Cluny-Wall-Sconce-Crystal_3751292.html

Atc - Here's a photo for you:

MouseMen - Honestly, the only problem I had was with the people who sold me the vanity. I would never recommend them as they were late on delivery, misled us on the height of the vanity itself (we needed measurements for our plumber and since we were late on delivery and he was booked we thought they could help us with the dimensions) and they drilled the sink holes to the wrong size so we had to pay a fabricator out of pocket to fix their mistake. I would definitely go the custom route next time - it was the same price as what we paid. Counter is Ceasarstone in Blizzard.

• penelopejosephine
    14 years ago

Thank you monica! Again...your bathroom is gorgeous!

• stlouie
    14 years ago

Another admirer of your floor tiles. They're beautiful! And the shower flooring looks really nice as well. I really like a monochromatic bathroom with a hint of color here and there. You did a terrific job.

I just ordered the same sconces in chrome two days ago. I hope mine end-up looking just as nice as yours.

We will have a knee wall also, so it's great to see that the glass looks really nice installed on top of it. Did you use the chrome trim on top of the knee wall? I know we will have to use something as well.

• blondelle
    14 years ago

Monicae, I see you've used the shower tile as your backsplash around the floating vanity. Did you tile in back of the vanity too, to the floor, or is the tile just used there to form the backsplash surround? Thanks!

• monicae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi St.Louie - Sounds like we have really similar taste. I bet your bathroom will be every bit as nice (I'm still afraid to use anything in there for fear of mucking it up!). We put the same shower tile on top of the knee wall. For a minute I thought about ordering a piece of Ceasarstone to match the countertop but felt like I was obsessing too much. The shower glass company insisted that one piece of glass go to the ceiling to provide stability for the door so the chrome you see there is a frame around that one bit of glass.

Blonadelle - We didn't tile the wall behind the vanity, just on top and beneath it I opted to paint it the same color as the rest of the walls.

• kimmieb
    14 years ago

Love it. Great job!

• eldemila
    14 years ago

Beautiful! Exactly, how small is small in regard to the size of the MBR???

• brutuses
    14 years ago

Gorgeous

• monicae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The room is 9 x 6 but includes a 4.5 x 2.5 closet.

• erinct
    14 years ago

Thanks for the details on the sconces -- I'm going to order them today! You should get a commission for all the sconce and floor tile sales your bathroom is generating!!!

• enmafromva
    14 years ago

Fabulous - love the serenity of the room

• myladyfae
    14 years ago

wow, I love what you did with this room...such a difference!

what tile did you use for the grey accent stripe inside the shower?

• jani18
    14 years ago

Hi, Monicae:

Your bathroom is gorgeous!!!!

Can you please tell me what paint you used on your walls?

Thanks. Jani

• jjaazzy
    14 years ago

What a pretty bathroom Bravo! I enjoy the contemporary style of your bathroom it will look good today and years from now. I am in the thick of remodeling now myself. Only those that have truly walked the walk can fully appreciate. One day - one day, I will be posting mine- I hope!

• advertguy2
    14 years ago

Nice bathroom! Can I get a close up shot of the knobs on your vanity? Also the model/manufacturer? From what I can tell, they look pretty cool.

Thanks in advance!

• monicae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Boy oh boy - I'm so thrilled with how much everyone loves it! I do too!

The paint color is actually a Pittsburgh Paint color named Arctic Cotton but the store mixed it using Benjamin Moore paint.

The knobs are here: http://www.atlashomewares.com/cesqkn.html

The accent strip I can't find online but it's a brushed stainless tile that came in 12 x 12 sheets. It was my big splurge tile wise, $75 a sq. ft., but thankfully we only needed 5 sheets total (and on that tile I'm afraid I don't know the manufacturer). Here's a photo:

• jjaazzy
    14 years ago

May I ask what did you use on your floor in the shower? I am shopping this out now. I love the white silver combo BTW.

• monicae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Jjaazzy - I have the 1 x 1 tumbled carrera marble (like in the base of the shower niche). Thanks - I was a little unsure about the silver strip but now I'm so glad I did it. Just gives the room a little extra oomph. I'm looking forward to seeing your bathroom as well.

• monicae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

2 x 2 marble - sorry

• homey_bird
    14 years ago

Fabulous job! So neat. Love the floating vanity and love the floor tiles!

Sad to hear about the vanity experience though....

Thanks for sharing. Great execution of vision! I would love to see more pix of your bath if you intend to post :-)

• lisaslists2000
    14 years ago

I love your bathroom, too! I just knew those were Candice sconces, lol. I have a pair of her lamps, and am planning on her sconces in my master bath, too. Everything came together FABULOUSLY for you. Congrats. Hope mine comes out as well!
    Lisa

• hedygs
    14 years ago

Love, love, love your bathroom. I was looking at a very similar vanity. I know you weren't happy but can you tell me where you bought it?

I want a vanity without the top and I am struggling to use IKEA cabinets but so far not looking good.

• crazyone
    14 years ago

this is stunning, be very proud and enjoy every moment in there..

our plan has 2 sinks side by each like yours in our basement bathroom which would be sued by 2 girls, i took the 2 sinks out and went with one to give them more counter space for "products".. what is your prefernce now you have installed and used them??? any suggestions you can give me

• MariposaTraicionera
    14 years ago

Monicae, I love your bathroom. You said the wall colour is a taupey-gray? How did you get them to mix it with BM paints? I am a bit confused on that.

• monicae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Mariposa - Thanks! I actually didn't ask them to mix it with Benjamin Moore but they did. I honestly don't know much about Pittsburgh Paints and whether it is a good paint but the color matched perfectly. Here's a link to their color visualizer: http://www.eisoftwareapps.com/PPGv2.0/main.asp

• MariposaTraicionera
    14 years ago

Thanks so much Monicae.

So the colour was Artic Cotton in Pittsburgh Paints? I really love your tiles :-)

• monicae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's the one. Thanks! The color is a really good match to those tiles as well. I love them.

• katem69
    14 years ago

Wow! Very pretty. I love everything about your bathroom. Great job in choosing flooring and accessories. We bought our bath tub from a discount tub place and found the rock we used for the flooring and counter top locally. I really like your color choices the bathroom turned out very rich and warm looking.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bath Tubs And More

• tking
    13 years ago

monicae,

Absolutely fantastic concept. We are planning on using a carrara hex or mosaic on our shower floor. How has your experience been with the carrara with regards to maintenance or staining?

• ICURN
    11 years ago

Hello Monicae,

I realize it has been a long time since you finished your lovely bathroom. I hope you find this message so far out. I found your post on a search for photos of Cubica Blanco which we plan to use in our bathroom shower.

I'm hoping you can tell me how you handled the exposed edges? It looks like you did not use any trim pieces yet it looks very finished.

Also, does it clean up alright with all that texture?

• 2christene
    6 years ago

monicae

Love your bathroom.

I am doing a search on Cubica Blanco tile and came upon your thread.

Can you tell me how difficult it is to keep clean> Soap scum? Pros? Cons?