Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Toilet Roughing (space behind tank)

Posted by saggy (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 25, 12 at 21:36

Hi, Hoping I can get a 2nd opinion. In one of our completed baths the space behind the toilet tank to wall is 2 inches. It feels too big of a space. Our 2nd bath was done correctly but apparently they did not measure this one correctly. The 14 roughing leaves the 2 inches and the contractor said the 12 inch roughing is too tight and risks a leak (we life in an apartment building) Is there any other way to remedy this with out having to redo walls etc... Is 2 inches too large of a space?
Contractor says nothing can be done (that he would want to be responsible for. He knows it wasn't done right perfectly but says that's really something we need to live with). Thanks for your help. Suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Toilet Roughing (space behind tank)

Toilets come in different "rough in" sizes, generally 10", 12" and 14".

The measurement refers to how far the center of the roughed-in flange should be from the finished surface of the wall behind the toilet for the toilet to have proper clearance from the wall.

2" of space can seem like a huge gap, but it can be disguised. Or the wall can be built out a bit depending on the wall itself. Or you can replace your 12" toilet with a 14" toilet.

A 12" rough is pretty much the standard in construction.

o

Hi saggy,actually I prefer enough of a gap between tank and wall such that painting with a mini roller and/or wall covering hanging can be easily done. As well,ocasional cleaning is possible-no inaccessible dark space with mildew potential. I just checked one of my toilets-about the same 2 inches but the with lid on gap is reduced a fraction. My opinion, better a 2 inch gap than none.

o

"The 14 roughing leaves the 2 inches and the contractor said the 12 inch roughing is too tight and risks a leak"

Were 14 inches needed for proper flange fit with your particular toilet in this bathroom? They do make off set adaptors which can be set at 10," 12" or 14" in spite of your vitreous china bowl. Toto makes one, for example, in any of the three sizes. If this is the case, a 12" offset adaptor might minimize that rough in extra 2" space you don't like.

Perhaps you wish to talk with your contractor about this. Good luck.

o

Are you sure it wasn't done this way because of the location of the floor joists? Sometimes you want to put the pipes in a certain location, but the floor joists get in the way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here