Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chicagoerin

are free standing tubs cheaper b/c no tile work?

chicagoerin
10 years ago

Hi-I am just stating my research and unfortunately won't have a ton of time to plan a new kitchen and bath..rushed remodel. My true love is bathing. I do it every night. I want a nice roomy soaking tub (no jets) and love the look of a free standing tub. I realize you need more room, but it seems to me that you might spend less overall, as you dont't need to tile the wall by it. Is this accurate??

Comments (2)

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

I would say generally, no, the cost of a fully free-standing tub is usually more than a conventional alcove tub with a surround, even with that part of the labor taken into account. There will be a lot of exceptions, if you chose a very expensive tile or alcove tub, for example, but a basic alcove tub is the cheapest kind.

• numbersjunkie
    10 years ago

You also need to take into account the cost of the faucet. A lot of freestanding tubs reguire a floor mounted faucet, and they are very pricey. But I'm like you - love my baths and love the look of a freestanding, so I will try to get one that allows the faucet to be deck mounted and hopefully the savings from eliminating the tub decking/surround will make it cost effective.