Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shower Niche's

Posted by lnia (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 25, 12 at 21:18

Hello,

We want to install a niche in our shower. 2 tile folks have indicated they prefer to build the niche versus us buying a pre-fabicated one for them to install. It would make more sense to us that the pre-fabicatedo ones would have better seals and look nicer but tradesmen have indicated that is not the case.
Would love to hear your thoughts.
THanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shower Niche's

I agree with your tradesmen. I MUCH prefer to build my own. Then IU can make then any size I wish, and locate them how I wish, so as to make sure they fall into the coursing of the tile. I've got several Laticrete preformed niches that were given to me when their system first came out. Since that time, I've installed probably 2 dozen showers. I've still got the niches.

Nuff said.

o

DH built all three of ours (three different bathrooms) and was able to customize them, as Bill says. He even adjusted them after they were installed, prior to being tiled-in (so the tile would line up optimally).

o

I agree with Bill and cat mom and would also add that most of the preformed niches I've seen are pretty small. I really, really liked being able to customize mine to the perfect sizes for my Costco bottles.

o

Thanks for the input. Wouldn't the prefabicated niche would be more waterproof and less likely to damage over time? I totally understand that we would have more flexibility to customize.
Thanks!

o

DH built the niches in-place, using 2x4's or whatever boards he used for framing them out. Then the cement board went in (Hardibacker). He then coated the tub and shower surrounds with Hydroban (3 coats) brush or roll-on waterproofing membrane, including the niches. When he had to "move" one (or two) of the niches, he re-coated the niches with more Hydroban.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here