Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjh53

50s bath redo finally finished

sjh53
14 years ago

Just in time for my nephew and his wife's visit last weekend, we finally finished the remodel of our small original master bathroom (with the exception of painting the window.) This forum provided a lot of wonderful inspiration as well as practical advice. I'm so glad I listened to the advice in an earlier post and did sconces on both sides of the mirror!

View of original 50s shower

80s vanity

Tile: Imola Porcelain, "Excalibur Bianco"

Toilet: American Standard Triumph Cadet 3

American Standard "Colony" pedestal sink

Chrome faucet, fixtures: "Dazzle" by American Standard

Sconces: Quoizel "Hollister"

Paint: Flintrock by Behr

Shower niche with 1" tumbled marble trim

Comments (17)

• karena_2009
    14 years ago

Wow! You must be so pleased with the results. It looks great! It's so clean looking and crisp. Is the tile in the shower the same as the tile on the floor?

• susan631
    14 years ago

I love your beautiful antique mirror. My father in law has a square-shaped one that's otherwise very similar hanging in his living room and I have always loved that one also.

• gsciencechick
    14 years ago

Beautiful! Now it's retro in a GOOD way, LOL!

• gbsim1
    14 years ago

Wow! Great job! What a change from the bumblebee yellow and black shower!

• pepperidge_farm
    14 years ago

So nice- enjoy!

• sjh53
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the nice comments. Karena, yes, I did use the same tile on the floor and in the shower, just different sizes. Susan, a friend who knew I was remodeling found the mirror in a second-hand shop. She has a good eye, and I think it looks awesome with the sconces. I waited 30 years to get rid of the "bumblebee" :) shower; good riddance! I'm no longer embarrassed to have overnight guests.

• karena_2009
    14 years ago

Congratulations on a beautiful job! The mirror is gorgeous, too. BTW, is the tile fairly easy to keep clean? It reminds me a bit of carrera marble. I love the greys and whites in the tile. Where did you find the tile?

• trtsmb
    14 years ago

Very nice!

• brutuses
    14 years ago

Love your choices, just my style. The sconces are perfect on the side of the mirror. Very pretty.

• sjh53
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Karena, the tile is Italian, made by Imola Ceramica and the style is Excalibur Bianco. I found it at Floor and Decor. It is a porcelain ceramic, so the upkeep should be easy. I wanted something that had a marble look without the upkeep.

• karena_2009
    14 years ago

Thanks sjharris53! I do like the carrera marble look and so I was wondering, too. With the bigger tiles you also have less grout lines so that should help as well.

Enjoy your new bathroom!

• raehelen
    14 years ago

Love it!

Totally know that 'not embarrassed to have guests' feeling! We're just about done our basement/guest BR, and now it's the nicest one in the house! Our Master is still lovely Avocado Green, rivaling your bumblebee look for dare I say tacky and dated? :>) (though to be honest, I think your old BR looked nicer than ours does!)

• Happyladi
    14 years ago

Very nice! I like the paint color but couldn't find "flintrock" on the Behr site.

• sjh53
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Happilady, I should be wearing my glasses all the time! The color is Flint Smoke, not Flint Rock.

• dlh160
    14 years ago

Lovely bathroom... I hope you still come on here and can answer this. I am planning on using beadboard(I think that's what it's called) paneling in our guest bath remodel and I really like the way yours looks. Can you tell me where you got it from? Thanks!

• kimbroinmexico_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Hi sjharris53,
    I was planning on using this tile for my bathroom too. Were you able to buy a bullnose for the edges? If not, what did you do instead?

• kathywinch_msn_com
    12 years ago

Beautiful job! We are using the same Excalibur Bianco tile in our new basement bathroom shower, but in a pattern which mixes all the size tiles (8x8, 8x16, 16x16, and 16x24). Sounds crazy but saw a display board at my local Floor & Decor Warehouse which did this pattern and it looks terrific.

Only question now is what kind of solid stone to use for the shower bench seat and the kneewall ledge. The ledge will be next to the vanity which has a China White Marble top. My tile guy wants to use a granite piece there but I haven't seen a granite that I think is really complimentary to the marble look of the Excalibur tiles.

Any suggestions?