Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbcollins_gw

Finally Finished - Barb's Budget Bathroom

barbcollins
11 years ago

Finally finished, well almost. Just some little things; artwork, towel bar, TP Holder etc. But the construction is finished. 100% DIY.

No before pics here. This bathroom was created in a space that used to be a closet and part of old porch, which a previous owner closed in. First we had to repair the outside walls, because the PO used regular 2x4's and laid them on concrete. Not sure how many years it took to rot out, but they were. Now everything is properly built and waterproofed.

Budget:

Lumber, Drywall and Backerboard & door; About $300

Tub; Home Depot $115

Tile; About $40 (leftover from kitchen project)

Toilet: Ferguson; $140

Redgard; Home Depot $46

Thinset; Restore $10

Flooring; Allure Ivory Travertine $76

Mirror; Restore $25

Vanity; Home Depot; Reg $149 On Sale $99

Light fixture; Restore New in box - $40

Misc trim; pipe etc $200

Here is how my faux tile trim turned out.

I am so glad we did the seat! I created that small piece of bullnose for the outside corner by slicing a piece of pencil tile in half

The floor:

So glad to be finished and have a bathroom on the first floor!!!

Comments (18)

• stolenidentity
    11 years ago

Congratulations and well done! DIY done right and beautifully :)

• mtpam2
    11 years ago

Love it! We are also DIY our small bathroom. We picked up a tub and shower wall kit, but looking at the beautiful tile job you did, I wish we had tried for wall tile. You did a great job. Enjoy your bathroom!
    Pamla

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

Very, very nice! It's amazing to see how much you accomplished on a budget. Congratulations and enjoy!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Nice job! I especially like the floor. What was the allure like to work with?

• barbcollins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The Allure was a piece of cake.... once we got the right kind.

We started with the new Allure Ultra, which is a click and lock. It was terrible. We spent about 2 hours fooling with it and finally gave up. I called Home Depot to complain and she gave me a Return Authorization Number. We took it back and got the regular Allure (which they now had in the same color) with the glue strip. I had the floor down (all by myself) in about an hour. And it was half the price of the Allure Ultra.

It's a breeze to work with and you cut it with a razor knife or you can use tin snips on tricky cuts.

And I think it's beautiful in IRL.

• sochi
    11 years ago

Great job Barb! I really love the floor, it is gorgeous. Enjoy your wonderful new space and congratulations on an incredible DIY job! I so wish I was that handy. I'm considering *mostly* doing a DIY job on my kids' bathroom over the next year. We'll see if I manage it!

• barbcollins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everybody.

Here is proof it is REALLY hard to take good pictures of small bathrooms. I took this one STANDING on the shower seat :)

Picked up the picture at Ollie's for $6. Repurposed the basket from the kitchen where it has sat empty for several months to temporarily hold toilet paper until I can get a holder. I think it's a perfect fit though and will leave it there.

Need to figure out where to put the antique curling iron. Thinking on the wall to the right of the sink, but also have towel ring to put up.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for the info on Allure vs Allure ultra. Very helpful.

• sochi
    11 years ago

Barb, I'm so stealing that basket on the toilet tank idea! I say keep it, it looks great!

• beeps
    11 years ago

Great job! Creative idea for the bench. I've never seen one with a tub like that. Your faux trim turned out so well!! Enjoy.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

I hear you about the difficulty photographing small bathrooms! Our mb is ~5x7.

You did a great job! I love your floor tile!!!

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Looks great! The tile trim turned out very nice, can't even tell it's not the same. And even though I know it's not even from your earlier post, I cant tell now and wouldn't notic at all.

Congrats!

• enduring
    11 years ago

What a fantastic job. I love the floor tiles and you did such a nice job of installing all of your tile. Your "crown molding" is still perfect. Your tab comes in at $1091, if I added the numbers correctly. Well done sister!

• barbcollins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I had help. DH was very patient as this bathroom moved in my plans 3 times, and then was revised several times. First just a shower stall, then larger shower stall, then a tub, then a tub with a seat :)

He did the framing (with me as a helper). He set the tub. He hung most of the drywall (while I was at work). I finished the drywall, did the tiling, painting, flooring. He put up the trim, set the toilet, vanity & hung the door.

Now, we are on to the next project.. a bedroom.

• enduring
    11 years ago

Bedroom; piece of cake right?

• barbcollins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ha, Ha, Enduring. Should be compared to this bathroom.

My biggest problem with the bedroom is talking DH into letting me put the Allure down (wood style) on the floor. He wants carpet.

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    11 years ago

Myrtle_59, this is an example of the Allure vinyl plank flooring.

The flooring I purchased is similar, but a Shaw's product.

• suzanne10023
    11 years ago

Beautiful! And I love the tub seat.

What did you do with the ceiling? Is that textured paint?