Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nomorebluekitchen

Tile around mirror?

nomorebluekitchen
15 years ago

Does anyone have photos of tile treatment around the bathroom mirror? I saw a picture on here sometime over the past 4 months but cannot find it with the search tool. A decorative border went around the top of the wainscot and them wrapped up and around the mirror.

Would love to see pics if you have one.

Anita

Comments (12)

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Actually, there wasn't any wainscot, but here's the pic I think you were talking about:

• spendogirl
    15 years ago

Wow...is that ever nice... hmmmm .... I have just the mirror I can do that with :)

• nomorebluekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That is fabulous. It isn't the one I was picturing...but it is even better.

Thanks, Bill!

Anita

• charlikin
    15 years ago

That is GORGEOUS!!!

• nomorebluekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I would love to tile around the mirror in the girls' bath like Bill's pic above.

Here is a shot of the bathroom overall. The top section of the wainscot (subway tile, marble liner, another subway tile) will continue around the vanity as a backsplash. Vanity will be black granite.

The original plan was that the backsplash would go in and the mirror would sit on top of that pencil marble piece.

{{gwi:1406121}}

After seeing bill's photo, I'm thinking about bringing the wainscot around and framing the mirror like so:

{{gwi:1483189}}

Not a great mockup, but basically instead of taking the pencil liner across the top of the backsplash area, I would wrap it and one row of subways around the mirror.

Does this work? Other ideas?

Anita

• nomorebluekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

In case my mockup was confusing...

I used a little oval mirror in the example above to show how the glass would look. My plan is to hang a large rectangular mirror above the vanity and wrap it with tile.

Anita

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

That would actually look pretty sharp! Or, instead of using the pencil liner, see if you could get ahold of some cararra chair rail, and use that to frame it, much like the travertine chair rail on the table top in the following pic, but on a smaller scale, obviously:

• marblelove
    15 years ago

Bill, I LOVE that picture and would like to do this in our master. Would you mind detailing how to go about doing this? Is it something a DIYer like my husband could do, or should a mirror company mount the mirror? How far under the tile does the mirror go, if at all? How are the edges caulked, grouted or whatever? Do you have bullnose tile on both outer edges?
    Thanks for any help!

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Would you mind detailing how to go about doing this?

It started long before the tile even arrived. I got together with the homeowner and had her order the mirror exactly 12 1/2" shorter than the vanity backsplash, and make certain it was exactly centered when mounted. I then cut the tile into strips, exactly 2" wide, and yes, the outside strip IS bullnose. I didn't bother trying to line up the joints, being that one was a 12" tile, and the other a 13" tile, and I didn't want to lose the factory edges on the ends. No, the tile doesn't go under the mirror, or vice versa. They abutt each other, and the two are caluked together with siliconized latex in the same color as the grout in the tile next to the mirror (the center strip was grouted a different color)

• marblelove
    15 years ago

Bill, I can't thank you enough for detailing this for me! We are using listello from our bath around the mirror and these instructions are a great help!
    Thanks much!

• houseful
    15 years ago

This first one is mine and the others are from model homes. It helps to draw everything on the wall first.

• rudy_deepzones_com
    13 years ago

Would anyone know what kind of adhesive to use for attaching marble back splash to mirror ?

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz