Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luizbgomide

Open plan bathroom layout

Please, critique my bathroom layout. I need to find any potential problems with it, before I set the layout on stone.

The shower will be curbless and doorless, and the whole bathroom is and open plan without obstructions. I'm aware of drafts when showering, since I'm in Brazil and our winter lasts about 2 weeks I don't see much of a problem. One potential concern that I have is where to place the towel rack for when I leave the shower, maybe over the bathtub? Or somehow in the vanity?

The whole floor will be sloped to the drain between the shower heads. The location of everything is mostly fixed, but I might change something if there is a good reason.

If a fully open plan reveals itself like a bad idea, I can put a glass pane between the vanity and shower and between the bathtub and shower.

Comments (11)

• lee676
    9 years ago

The open shower is nice; if anything I'd enclose the toilet. I'd also put the tub spout and plumbing on the wall side to be easier to install and less obtrusive, or along the open side on a deck or on the long wall; a side-mounted filler allows tubs that can be used facing either direction.

• Luiz Borges Gomide
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The tub plumbing is reversed on the layout, I just realized it now. The spout is on the wall side.

I tried to enclose the toilet, but I couldn't fit it in (and still having enough space to walk in the bathroom). I don't want to remove space from the closet, which is already at the minimum that we want. Do you have any suggestions on how to enclose it? What you were thinking?

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I don't like tubs and toilets together after reading another GW member's concern about relaxing in the tub with her head by the toilet. That made a lot of sense to me. In your case you'd be starting at the toilet. Can the toilet and vanity be switched? Use a smaller one sink vanity?

Can the towel bar go on the closet wall?

• Luiz Borges Gomide
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi may_flowers, in this case, I would rather have the toilet at my feet (the plumbing is reversed on the layout) than a toilet facing the door. Also we are set on have two sinks.

• enduring
    9 years ago

I have the set up with the toilet on the same wall as my spout as you discribe. It is great for me. I have not had any issues looking at my toilet 5 feet away while soaking. I have a tub filler with a hand held, and it reaches the toilet bowl. Handy handy handy. Allows for rinsing items into the toilet, like diapers.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

I had an idea for a different layout. You would not have to walk through your closet in either layout and I think you gain more space and a separated toilet room if desired.
    The first layout on the left changes your entry into the bathroom and puts your tub on display. You enter from the bedroom through a hallway and then choose right for bathroom, left for closet.
    The alternate layout which just shows changes to the right half of your bathroom, gives you more closet space, but you need two separate doors(one for the bathroom and one for the closet.) I may not have the dimensions right, but it looks close. I used overall dimensions of 16 feet by 13 feet for the layout.

• Luiz Borges Gomide
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Karen,
    Your first layout seems a bit cramped, it seemed to lost the open plan aspect of it, it appears to have just some 20 ft of free area (just the space in front of the vanity).
    The second layout lost some closet footprint, losing the dressing area (it is marked with a different color in my layout above).

• lee676
    9 years ago

You can get toilets with tanks that are built into the walls between the studs, so the bowl can be pushed back to the wall saving about 10" in depth. You may also want to steal a bit of space from the closet behind the toilet (with just shallow shelves for a 2 foot width section, but the front of the shelves lining up with everything else) if you wanted to enclose the toilet - between both of those, there'd be room.

• Luiz Borges Gomide
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Lee, but I'm not really worried about enclosing the toilet, I'm fine with it besides the tub. My reason for with this post, was to find potential problems with an open plan bathroom.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

Will your vanity be made of wood? If so, I'd want something (wall or glass) keeping the shower spray off of the side of it.

I think I'd put the towel rack on the closet wall opposite the vanity.

• enduring
    9 years ago

With that curb-less shower, there is a need for a certain amount of slope to the drain. It might help if there was a linear drain at the wall so you can get the drop needed. Have you seen the linear drains? They are nice looking. You might have to lower the floor to make this happen too. There may or may not be codes to address this issue in your town.