Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dandylandy

StarGlass urethane grout for white glass tile

dandylandy
13 years ago

Hi there,

Does anyone have pics of installations with StarGlass grout and white or clear glass tile? It is made by the quartzlock people, especially for use with glass tiles.

We are considering using the "Diamond" color (#600) which has a beguiling sparkle.

I am just wondering how big the joints should be and how much sparkle comes through.

This would be to grout 4x12 superwhite glass tiles in a bathroom that is not used very often. I have read that there is a long curing period and that is not a problem as we have other baths we can use.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Manufacturer's info on StarGlass grout

Comments (9)

• dandylandy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

C'mon, hasn't anyone used this? It is pretty pricey, so I don't want to commit without hearing feedback.

This would be in a bathroom with white glass subway tiles in the shower area. I was concerned about white grout in the wet area and the tile shop recommended this product. My contractor has never used it so he isn't able to comment on its properties and whether a urethane grout is worth the extra $$.

Thanks.

• dandylandy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, I came back to update this topic in case people search for this in the future. We bought the starquartz diamond grout for our glass bathroom tiles. When the tile guy installed it, it was *amazing* looking. It almost disappeared and the glass tiles looked great.

Anyway, we went away for Christmas. No one is living at our job site, and we have never used the shower that the urethane grout is located in. We returned from Christmas and parts of the grout (random, not consistent at all) are PINKISH BROWN!!!!!

The contractor said he would call the company to find out what to do. It is pretty weird, considering the shower was never used since installation, because we were not living there.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

• Janice_mosaicgoddess_com
    12 years ago

I recently discovered the StarGlass grout (I'm a full time mosaic artist.) I like the look but have only used the black and have only used it on very small applications. Yes it is pricy but unique look. Now I'm hesitant to use lighter colors. Did you color problems get resolved?

Here is a link that might be useful: Mosaic Goddess

• avadoone
    12 years ago

I was browsing the website because I was curious about this. I noticed they sell a grout cleaner called "Blaze" you might want to check that out.

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

That sounds like mildew. I get that pinkish brown in my shower along the caulk lines when I am remiss in cleaning. Even though no one uses the shower there is a lot of moisture in the air and perhaps that long cure time allowed it to mildew like that. Not sure why this type of mildew is the pinkish brown just know that I have seen it in the shower. It does clean up with scrubbing just hope that it didn't go deeper than you can clean.

• dandylandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi there,

I came back to update this topic. No, there is no way it was mildew. The apartment was extremely dry, actually, during the winter months, and the discoloration went all the way through the grout.

The Starquartz company has been a nightmare to deal with. They sent a nice representative out about a week after I posted, who immediately promised to send me new grout and $500 credit for my contractor.

Well, guess what? I emailed and called for 5 months (!) and nothing ever happened. It was an empty promise.

Finally, I found out from my contractor that another person had the same problem, so we spoke, and found out that others also had this issue. It was DEFINITELY a quality control issue on the part of Starquartz company, as there were several of us affected by the "bad batch" as a rep referred to it.

The long and short of it is that the tile store that my contractor bought the Starglass grout from (Artistic Tile in NYC - good place!) issued me the $500 rebate and charged it back to the company, and then they forced Starquartz to send us the promised 3 buckets of diamond white starglass grout.

The only problem was, after 4.5 months of waiting and calling, we HAD to get that bathroom done so by the time they sent the 3 replacement buckets in late June/early July, totally out of the blue as Starquartz had not contacted us about it, ever, we had regrouted about 3 weeks earlier with regular cement grout. (The contractor had dug out the bad grout many months before in anticipation of receiving the promised replacement, so the bathroom couldn't be used for all those months.)

Caveat Emptor!

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

Oh so sorry and thanks for the update. I'm so sorry this happened to you I'm sure it was a huge frustration and exasperating dealing with this for so long. That is just wrong that they treated you and others so poorly. Thanks again for the info. All the best to you!

• Tom
    11 years ago

I installed starglass diamond about 15 months ago, with a bit of apprehension based on what I read in this forum. I'm a better than most DIY guy, and have used traditional grout 3-4 times before I tried this.

The place where I bought my tile had display pieces that used Starglass and I really liked the look, so I read the instructions, watched a few youtube videos, and went ahead and gave it a shot. I used 1 x 1 colored but clear glass mosaic tile and covered 2 of 4 bathroom walls, including two walls in a shower that gets multiple uses every day.

I thought the installation was easy, even easier than traditional grout. It came out looking great, and 15 months later it looks like new. The grout is rock hard, has no discoloration, I don't have any glass beads coming out, and it's been very easy to maintain.

I recently stumbled across my same tile installed with traditional grout and it was a reminder as to how much better I like the Starglass. I can't see myself using anything else, and would recommend it to a friend. I'm extremely pleased with the results.

Sorry aboutt he low quality picture. It was a tough shot to take.

• Fripp_07
    11 years ago

This is my vanity backsplash. Glass mosaic tiles with StarGlass Diamond grout. It has a hint of grey in it.