Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any issues using porcelain arabesque on shower floor?

Posted by aporthole (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 19:44

Anyone have opinions on using a porcelain arabesque mosaic on a shower floor?

photo merolaarabesqueorion_zps111cc0b7.jpg

We really like the look of this one and the price is good, too at $11.97/sq ft. The shower pan is 36"x48", shower walls will be the cheap $2/sq ft white Daltile 3x6 subways from HD with Laticrete Permacolor grout in Silver Shadow. We are also thinking of using the porcelain arabesque on the back of the 12x20 shower niche. The bath cabinets are white, lower walls SW Alabaster beadboard, upper walls SW Tradewind (light grayish/greenish blue). The bathroom floors will be a warm earthy gray variated glazed porcelain (Emser's Bombay Modasa).

We originally considered using a marble hexagon mosaic on the shower floor but the durability/maintenance issues with light colored marble on a shower floor are a HUGE turnoff.

Any potential issues/concerns to consider with using the porcelain arabesque tile pictured on a shower floor (other than the difficulty of install)?

Here is a link that might be useful: Details on pictured tile

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any issues using porcelain arabesque on shower floor?

I'm no expert, but I would be worried about it being slippery, as these are a glossy finish, and the tiles are somewhat large (roughly 2" each). The specifications seem to imply that they shouldn't be used on a wet floor like a shower. I think they can handle the water, just that they may be slippery for standing on. Hopefully a more qualified person can give you better information - they are very pretty!

o

Very pretty but would use as trim / backsplash

o

I really like the tile. But I agree that I would more likely put it on the wall. It could be slippery. It's gorgeous, though.

o

I notice that it specifically states that it is floor or wall tile and that it has a hardness rating that is appropriate for a powder room. I wish it specified the actual COF (coefficient of friction), though it does say "C.O.F. greater than .50 is recommended for standard residential applications and is marginally skid resistant. Indoor use" so I assume that means it has a COF greater than .50. I think they would look really beautiful in a shower.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here