Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweeby

Which Master Suite Design?

sweeby
9 years ago

Hubby and I are trying to decide between two very different layouts for our renovated master suite, and I'd like to get some design input from from the experts here:

The first option I'll call "His & Her" and it's really two separate bathrooms, his with a doorless shower, and hers with a freestanding tub, each with a toilet and vanity. 'His' is about 8' x 9' with a 'feature window' (forgot to draw in) about where the 'His Bath' label is. 'Hers' is about 7 x 10, with a window by the tub. The unlabled 'box' is a furniture piece china/cabinet linen closet.

Comments (4)

• sweeby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The other design, I'll call 'Traditional', and is about 10 x 20' overall. The only window is by the freestanding tub, but we'd probably add some skylights. This design uses the 'His' space in the other design for a second closet.

I'd really love to hear your preferences and any suggestions. My question is really mostly about resale value as either design will work well for us.

• jrueter
    9 years ago

Well, since I don't know that I can tell you what will work best for you, I will just comment on things I notice about each, and hope that helps.

The open shower in His bath might be cold, but if that is a concern it could easily be done as a larger shower with a door in the same space. Vanities in H&H seem smaller, so if you like lots of counter space, this may be an issue. And an extra toilet to clean.

In the traditional the doors to toilet and shower will need to open out, rather than in, so they may bump into each other. Could you swap the tub and shower (and turn the top vanity 90degrees)? I guess then the window is a problem.

Can you put both shower and toilet room on the bed wall and both vanities on the bottom wall?

• sas95
    9 years ago

I don't know anything about resale value except that one house we were seriously considering buying had his/hers bathrooms in the master suite. One had a bath; the other a shower. In figuring our offer, we factored in the price of getting rid of one of the bathrooms. Especially since we both like showers over baths, we didn't think we'd ever use the second bathroom. I'd rather have one room with both a shower and a bath than have them sectioned off like that.

• sweeby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your comments -

So one vote clearly against the his & hers plan, and some good considerations.

On the His & Her doorless shower, we figured we'd try a doorless layout first and add a door later if it turned out to be drafty, so we'll be extra-careful on the tile to make sure a frameless door could go in easily if needed.

On the traditional plan, there are structural reasons for the fixture placement that I won't go into here, so it really needs to stay pretty-much 'as designed' --

Any other opinions? I'm really interested in people's preference for 'His & Her' or 'Traditional' since we're planning to resell in the not-too-distant future. (And not renovating so the buyer can do it is not an option.)