Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deedles_gw

Pebble tile floor is done!

deedles
11 years ago

I've mostly lurked on the bathroom board but have gotten a bit of good advice from you all too, so...

I was going to wait to post any pics until we were completely finished but DH did such a great job on the pebble floor that I couldn't wait to show it off.

He estimates laying about half of the stones one by one both for my design and to avoid any seam lines. I'll always remember my 6'5" dear sitting cross-legged on the floor with a butter knife and a pile of single pebbles: applying the goop, placing the stone and calling out "ONE"....wait a little bit... "TWO"..... "THREE". And so on for five days.

anyway, here it is! (sideways, sorry)

Comments (34)

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Wow! Not only does that look great, what dedication from DH! I thought you were going to have it done by the tile guy, or am I misremembering? I bet HE wouldn't have set them one by one!

Looking forward to seeing the rest when it's ready, I bet it will be lovely.

• kai615
    11 years ago

The floor looks great Deedles! Your hubby did a great job. nice design too.

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

That's beautiful work-- even for a PRO, nevermind a DIYer!!

• sochi
    11 years ago

That is fantastic deedles, congratulations to you and your ever so capable husband! What a diy job! Great design too, it is just lovely.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Wow, that is really stunning!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Great job, Deedles!!!
    My DH would never be able to do that!
    Can't wait to see the rest of the BR!

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

Really well done. Believe me I KNOW the work your DH put into this. It is Beautiful and reflects his dedication.

Husband YOU RAWK!!!!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Holy c**p!!! What an awesomely phenomenal job! Go deedles' DH!!!

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

Beautiful Deedles!! What a wonderful man you are married to! He's a keeper!

• enduring
    11 years ago

Beautiful, and its one of a kind. Wonderful work. Deedles' DH, you do rock (and do pebbles).

• ae2ga
    11 years ago

Holy pepples batman! What a fantastic floor - I can hardly wait to see the whole room completed.

• beeps
    11 years ago

Wow! That's beautiful. And your hubby has patience and then some!! It paid off. :)

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

I don't think I've ever known a guy who would have had the patience to do that.

it's a wow and awesome both! Hang onto that guy!

• allison0704
    11 years ago

That is gorgeous!!! I wanted a floor like this in my laundry room, but ran out of time. Next house!!

• kai615
    11 years ago

I spent last night thinking up patterns for pebble in out tiny upstairs bath that we haven't started yet. I haven't settled on a floor yet, but I think your floor has inspire me. I can just imagine how nice it feels under bare feet!

• deedles
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all, he's a good guy. I told him "know I now you love me because a person would only do that for love or money and you aren't getting paid", lol.

Kali615: it really feels good on the feet, like a foot massage.

• xand83
    11 years ago

Wow! This is really impressive! And it looks extremely professional. Props!!

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

Very nice job! Thought people might like to see it without turning their heads sideways:

• deedles
    Original Author
    11 years ago

terriks: thanks! I couldn't find how to rotate the image in photobucket.

• Terri
    11 years ago

Wow that is amazing! Mine would have never done that! To much patience required :)

A couple questions about this, will you seal it? And what will you use to clean it?

Can't wait to see the room finished.

• deedles
    Original Author
    11 years ago

terri: he sealed the pebbles first, then put another 2 coats of sealer all over. I'll probably use the Thieves oil cleaner, it's a good cleaner and mold killer, too.
    I can't wait to see the room finished either!

• chiefy
    11 years ago

Holy (*&^! Wow, that is stunning!

• deedles
    Original Author
    11 years ago

correction: THREE coats of sealer after the grout.

Thanks everybody for the nice comments!

• katrine822
    11 years ago

Deedles,
    Two questions:
    First - did you put any heating elements underneath? Could you have?
    Second - is your husband ever going to be in the Chicago area with some free time on his hands;)

Awesome job.

• jgopp
    11 years ago

looks amazing, I'd love to do something like that someday! Just beautiful.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

That is amazingly beautiful, both the design and execution. Can't wait to see what you have planned for the rest of the room. Be sure to post more pics!

• deedles
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Katrine: we were going to have an underlayment heat mat, but it raised the floor too much. We're going to live through a winter with it unheated and then if it's too cold, retrofit a heater set-up between the floor joists in the basement. Free time? HA! But I'll ask him ;)

igopp and oly: thanks and I will post more when we get the BR done. Should be before the end of October (fingers crossed)

• momo7
    11 years ago

Wow! That looks amazing.

I'm getting something similar to the lighter pebbles in my shower - never crossed my mind to make a pattern. It's just as well, I'm sure my tile guy doesn't love me as much as yours loves you: )

• robertoo007
    8 years ago

It'a wonderful. I consider the implementation of something like this in our second bathroom - I chose pebble tiles like in the picture below. I'd like something else to see live, because so far it's only in the photographs I've succeeded. You've done it himself or wynajmowałeś your company?

Photo: Pebble Tiles Lux4home

• artemis_ma
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Seriously, you and hubby ROCK in the aesthetic creativity department!

• bossyvossy
    8 years ago

old thread. dammit!

• mrspete
    8 years ago

INCREDIBLE!

• Melissa Wallace
    5 years ago

Hello I know this is older, but is there anyway you can tell me the kind of peoples you used?