Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are black cast iron tubs/shower receptors a pain to keep clean?

Posted by sjhockeyfan (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 19:09

We wanted a dark grey, but it's on lengthy back order and we can't wait. We could get white, but that's so boring. If black is a terrible idea, we might just opt to do a regular pan and tile the shower floor. (It's the Kohler Salient shower pan we're looking at).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are black cast iron tubs/shower receptors a pain to keep cle

I have heard that the black enameled sinks show water spots very easily. There is a black with brown ticking that they offer. I have the Salient center drain that I just put in (plumber put in) that is Ice Gray. Very nice.

o

enduring, we checked Ice Gray and Basalt, too. Our only choices for immediate delivery are black or white. We could do tile instead, but I'd really rather not.

Anyone else?

o

I think we've decided to wait for the Thunder Grey. We just like it too much to "settle".

o

I think that is the right thing to do. The wait is temporary but the immediate fix is permanent. I know someone who has black fixtures and says it is a daily cleaning thing. To the point that they essentially dry the sink entirely each time they use it.

I am planning on the Salient Receptor in Ice Grey or Thunder Grey in one bath and all Ice Grey in another bath so I am curious to see one in place.

o

Give yourself plenty of lead time -- it turns out they're made on order!

o

I am actually putting a bathroom in the basement first, before I remodel the two second-floor baths which both need to be remodeled and will both need to be done simultaneously since they share a wall and that wall is moving. We lived through a kitchen remodel that left us without one for 4-1/2 years :(. By having a full bath elsewhere I hope to not have to make any finishes decisions based on timing...we'll see.

o

We decided to wait for the Thunder Grey, and have picked the tile for the shower and accent wall to go with it, and the faucets. Now all we need is a vanity!

o

That is good news to hear. I think the Thunder Grey is a very nice color. This bathroom is on your terms, remember.

The wait is temporary but the immediate fix is permanent. as palimpsest stated, is a great motto to stand by, while making choices.

o

I know - I have to keep reminding myself that a month is nothing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here