Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tile to Wallboard Transition

Posted by nuckphoto (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 6, 12 at 18:37

Our bathroom remodel will be a full gut and I will be tiling the shower walls. The shower base will be from onyxtop.com. I was wondering about the transition from tile to greenboard if we don't go all the way to the ceiling. With CBU + Redgard behind the tile, it seems measuring where the CBU stops and the greenboard starts would have to be pretty exact. And how do you transition from one to the other at the top of the tiles? Or on the sides and the shower base for that matter.

Thanks for any info on this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tile to Wallboard Transition

stop durock just short of where the tile will end so the seam will be under the tile.

o

'Zactly what the Master wrote. Hide the transition seam behind the top course of tile.

o

Thank you. So I guess a little thinset and grout on the wallboard won't hurt it?

o

Not at all.

o

Thanks again. That's what I wanted to know.

o

"So I guess a little thinset and grout on the wallboard won't hurt it?"

Realize that people tile over drywall all the time. Non-wet bathroom walls, decorative backsplashes, etc.

o

"Realize that people tile over drywall all the time. Non-wet bathroom walls, decorative backsplashes, etc."

But the tile in this case will be the shower walls.

o

"But the tile in this case will be the shower walls."

When you wrote "So I guess a little thinset and grout on the wallboard won't hurt it?" I thought your concern was simply if the thinset and grout would "hurt" the wallboard. It won't.

Your transition from Durock to drywall should be above the typical splash line or higher in a shower...typically 72" off the floor or the height of the shower head, whichever is higher.

I personally prefer to tile to the ceiling. If not, I prefer to tile to a height above the height of the shower arm escutcheon so the escutcheon fully sits on tile.

Sorry for the confusion.

o

But the tile in this case will be the shower walls.

Doesn't matter. So long as the drywall starts no lower than 72" off the floor, as Mongo stated.

o

Tile to the ceiling. Looks nicer, nicer to clean. Not that much more expensive while you're at it.

o

Thanks, everyone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here