Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debrawnelson

Deck mounted handshower questions

debrawnelson
9 years ago

Hello,

My contractor is about to do the rough-in for our drop-in tub (Kohler Reve). We have a tub filler with a handshower. The tub will be installed as a drop-in, so the fixtures will be mounted on the deck. The rim of the tub is 2" wide and 1 3/16" tall. I want to be able to easily clean the deck between the tub rim and the plumbing fixtures, so I was planning to allow 2 1/2" between the front of the tub filler trim and the tub rim. However, the handshower has several inches less reach than the spout. The contractor pointed out to me that typically the handshowers drip a little after use, and that those drips will land on the tub rim if he installs the handshower in line with the tub filler. He says this will be fine if everyone using the handshower dries the tub rim after each use (I guess to prevent the drips from running down onto the tub deck right at the caulk line).

Here are my questions: have any of you installed handshowers in a layout other than on the same center as the tub filler? And are you happy with the look? Has anyone experienced the drip issue the contractor is warning me about?

Thanks so much for your feedback!

Comments (10)

• lotteryticket
    9 years ago

Yes. The one we have drips onto the tub deck as our tub is undermounted. I wish I'd thought of that before as I would have moved it a smidge closer to the tub. So far it's fine as I'm the main one who uses it. I generally wipe it with the towel and leave it pulled out and on the floor of the tub for a while. I'm afraid if I don't that eventually that dripping will damage the stone.

• debrawnelson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your response, Lotteryticket. I will have a Caesarstone tub deck, so the drips won't hurt it, I just don't want to end up with a mildew prone caulked area where the tub meets the deck. We are thinking if we install it in line with the other pieces we will have to do exactly what you are doing after each use. But we don't really plan to use the tub much, so maybe that's not so bad.

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

My handshower is mounted on the tub deck and drips (very little) into the tub. My plumber suggested that position for that reason. It's on the side at the front right corner. The filler and h/c handles are mounted on the deck surround.

• _usernameblank_
    9 years ago

Ours is mounted on the tile deck and is inline with the spout. We had this same set up before we remodeled and both our Grohe's dripped. Not only that, on our old faucet there were times when someone forgot to release the diverter (?) and didn't seat the hand shower correctly and water would come rushing onto the deck. With our new remodel, the hand shower does sit over the deck of the tub, but it's sloped in such a way that most of the water drips back into the tub and the hand shower itself is much easier to seat back into place. When the water is on, the spray does miss the tub deck itself. However, I just checked and there is a little bit of spray that gets on the tile. Keep in mind though, that this is only if the hand shower is sitting in place and the diverter is activated and water is turned on. Otherwise, the tile is dry and only a few drips on the tub deck.

• jewelisfabulous
    9 years ago

Here's a picture of ours. Our contractor suggested we place it on the opposite corner from the faucet. It drips a little after use, so I'm glad it overhangs into the tub.

• debrawnelson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for the feedback! It's good to hear about your experiences as this will be my first handshower for a tub. Thanks also for the photo, Jewel654! My handshower is going to have to go by the tub filler and hot/cold controls, but I may space it out just a little and move it forward so it drips into the tub.

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

My handheld shower came with extra hose. My plumber made me sit in the tub for the orrect placement of the air jet control thingy and how long to make the hand held shower hose.

• shanghaimom
    9 years ago

Ours does have that post-shutoff drip your contractor is talking about. It doesn't continue, and I've noticed that if I give it a little shake after I shut it off, it doesn't drip onto the deck. When it does, a quick swipe with a hand towel takes care of it.

For me, the issue is minor enough that I would not feel the need to sacrifice symmetry. A bit of form over function! I DO use it frequently.

• lotteryticket
    9 years ago

Nothing further to add, i just missed shanghaimom's bathroom pictures. My favorite bathroom ever!

• debrawnelson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the continued responses! I realize I have to decide based on my own tolerances, but your real life feedback is most helpful.

Wow, shanghaimom, that is a gorgeous bathroom! What a clever way to fully utilize the space under the sloped ceiling! It looks like your handshower has a fairly generous reach, but I think your decision in favor of form over function was the right one in your case. Thanks for posting the photo!