Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minac_gw

Can anyone think of sliding shower doors for 49 inch opening?

minac
13 years ago

I am in the home stretch of my master bathroom remodel. For the most part, things had seemed to be running smoothly. However, today is a doozy. Our finished opening is 49 1/4". The Kohler shower doors are too big. I need to find an alternative. We are considering seeing if a glass shop can modify this glass, getting custom glass sized to fit. I also wanted to see if anyone knew of something off the shelf. The style we have know is Kohler Portrait. The style is below

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/detail.jsp?item=11326502&section=2&category=12&subcategory=129

Any ideas?

Thx.

Comments (10)

• pam29011
    13 years ago

I am guessing you want a sliding door because you don't have room for a big swinging door, right? What about having a glass shop make 2 narrow swinging doors? That might be easier to fit in your floorplan & would give you a wider opening in & out of the shower.

I also like the bifold doors that lazygardens linked. Those are cool.

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

I must respectfully disagree that 25" is too little for a shower entrance. Two of my bathroom doors are only 24" wide and that has never been an issue (except in maneuvering a vanity into the room). It seems to me that if 24" is sufficient for entering a bathroom, it would be sufficient for entering a shower.

• wrighthouse
    13 years ago

I would consult a local glass shop. They may want to add some sort of framing or support to the sides. That, along with the overlap in the middle, means that the opening may be less than 24" wide.

You may also want to look into a sliding door with three panels. I put one into a tub/shower combo to make the opening wider so that someone taking a bath wouldn't feel so boxed in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Triple Slider

• bbstx
    13 years ago

This one is good for 42 - 48 inch openings. Can you put in any sort of filler that would take up an inch?

Here is a link that might be useful: 42 -48 inch sliding shower door

• User
    13 years ago

pricklypearcactus - some of my family is linebacker width, or basketball player height. My immediate thought on any design is, "Would Uncle Don be able to use that without touching the sides?"

• jph1
    13 years ago

Dreamline shower doors are very inexpensive but the quality is great. We have used these before and they very nice and easy to install. There are many sizes available. I have created a link to one that will work for your needs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shower Door opening 47-3/4

• sue_b
    13 years ago

At a local kitchen/bath/plumbing store I checked out Basco quality and could see samples of the metal finishes and glass. I shopped online for my sliding door for a shower/tub by Basco using this site below. I priced it there but ordered it from Lowes special order (they order it for you, no charge) & you can get a 15% off Lowes website coupon for anything in the store...it's for moving but you are moving things around, right? At this link on TheShowerDoorStore look for the Infinity 4400-4500 as it has the 48 inch width. Maybe all of them have that width. The Swing Doors with Inline Panels look great.
    The quality of my Basco door is excellent. My sister has a Kohler Sterling sliding shower door and it is very wobbly and not as high quality.

Here is a link that might be useful: shower doors, sliding or inline

• minac
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the advice. In the end we decided to go with the custom glass. It was the best solution with our layout (I don't think any sort of swing door option would have worked) and the designer was willing to take on the cost and the GC took on all the stuff with the order from the glass shop. Hopefully the shower doors get installed today.

• timtaylor
    13 years ago

How expensive is the custom glass compared to the over-the-counter option?

Here is a link that might be useful: bathroom suites